My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

First the moon, and now the sun

Last night after church as I was driving home, the moon was peeking above the trees, getting larger the closer I got to the condo. I climbed the stairs and swung my kitchen door open, and was met by moon rays as they glanced off my dining room table. It was almost as though I'd left a light on. Usually I use the hall light to get to my room but the moon lit my path and illuminated enough so I could see without turning on the overhead light. The way it reflects on the smooth water.....breathtaking!
*
And now, the sun is doing the same dance as it rises above the trees. The clouds above it are greyish-pink, a good color combination, God. There is a barge sitting out in the middle of the river, I wonder if someone drove off and forgot to drag it along! A little further south of that barge is one holding a yellow crane, matching the one that sits in our basin area. I was hopeful that work would soon begin on the marina but after a couple weeks of parked cranes, no activity.
*
It would be lovely to have the elevator re-installed and the marina underway when I return from my travels. At least the elevator!!! So far so good on the stairs for me, but today I'll be carrying stuff out with me, which will occupy one hand, at least. We are being encouraged to use the handrails on both sides in order to prevent falling, but that's a bit difficult to do if you're carrying something down or up. A couple people have slipped on the wet stairs and injured their back or tailbone so some non-skid pads have been added to an inside stairway--not mine.
*
A good deal of time was spent with my friends at Hang Ups yesterday, where I was able to pick up my newly framed watercolor. It looks marvelous, if I do say so myself. (Jill, I just paid myself a compliment!) I was going to take it to Island Realty for display but decided to hang onto it until Harv, Barb and Justin see it, and then take it over. Art Guild had a change out at Island while I was gone but not many showed up, so I still have a chance to get mine displayed prominently. One of my other watercolors hangs in the reception area above Martie's desk, how perfect is that?? I don't have it priced, but Pam says many people comment on it---am I missing the boat here?
*
Painting on consignment I liken to painting at gun point. Martie went through that a while back when my friend, Joan, was having her paint a couple pieces for her collection. Martie would sit, brush poised in the air, but couldn't put paint on the canvas. Too much pressure to perform!! She had performance anxiety! The work she did turn out for Joan was very nicely done, but not as freely as would a piece done just for the pleasure of painting. Some folks make a decent living selling their art work, but Martie, Chris, Christine, and I simply enjoy the process, the joy, of playing with paint!
*
Dee shared with me the criteria for entering work in the Clay County Fair, including the photography exhibits. Mine, again, pales next to what others would be entering, but I like having the option of doing that some day as well. I'll be gone for the Fair this year, but Martie signed up to work in the Art Guild booth, perhaps with Chris. It's fun to sit in the exhibit, have people vote on their favorite pieces, and see so many people all in one place---like when we used to have a booth in the Home Show! Loved working that Home Show!
*
In checking the weather forecast in WI yesterday, I saw that snow is predicted for the day I land in Milwaukee. Nuts! Can there be anything worse than driving a rental car in the snow, in the twilight? Ugh! I hope it's all cleared away and the roads dry when I head up to Manty. My flight won't land until after 6:00 p.m. so it might be 7:00 or so before I am on the road. Is it dark in WI at that time of day?
*
This morning I'll be heading over to church to set up for Holy Communion as soon as I'm done here. I was going to go later and meet Carol but one of my friends is quite ill and asked me to take her to the ER this morning if she didn't feel better overnight, so am planning to start the day a bit earlier to allow for time sitting in the ER. A book will keep me company if she's too sick to chat. Justin was thinking about coming over here some time today, if he didn't make plans with a friend home for Easter, but he can do what he has to without me here. He sort of trashed my guest rooms and I'd like them straightened out before Harv and Barb come to visit. I have the boxes here from the Southern Living delivery taking up valuable room, too, so he can take them down to the dumpster for me. That should have been done before the elevator was taken out of service, but.............
They would make a lovely bonfire!

No comments: