My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, March 28, 2008

It's cold and warm at the same time!

""Look out the left" the Captain says, "The lights down there, that's where we'll land..." That's another tidbit from Joni Mitchell, and it always comes to mind when I'm flying somewhere. Yesterday was no different, as I finally arrived in Milwaukee. We were delayed leaving Atlanta due to an equipment problem at the MKE airport, something used by the tower to guide the instrument-rated planes, as we were arriving in "freezing fog". Hmm, okay, just fix the part and let's get a move on, please..
*
Fortunately my luggage followed me and my rental car was still in the garage, but did I want to now drive in the freezing fog, or stay in a hotel and try it in the morning???? I opted to head north to see what would happen. It was ugly at first, having trouble keeping my windshield clear, as it seemed more like mud than snow. By the time I got to Silver Spring Drive, the air was cleared, the stripes on the road clearer, and off I went!
*
Mom was waiting at the door when I pulled in and I managed to get my luggage hauled in the house without her having to come out to help me.
She'd picked up some of the special cookies I like from Copp's so had one of those and diet Coke before heading off to my nice warm bed. The heat works quite well in Mom's place so it was a great night's sleep. Nice and cozy, snuggled in at Mom's!
*
Bright and early in the morning off we went to work on the newsletter at First German. The ladies have a silent contest to see who can get there the earliest, seemingly earlier each time they meet. Linda had things all ready to go when we arrived. She and I held each other and shed a quiet tear together, for comfort and rejoicing at seeing each other again. It was great fun to work with the ladies and Pastor R., as it's his job to load the mailboxes with the finished letters. I got to extend Judy J.'s best wishes to her friend, Marilyn, who attends that church (it's a small world, smaller yet in the WELS!).
*
After that project and chatting with Pastor, Mom and I came back here to rest up after that big morning. I actually took a nice nap in the chair watching TV and had a nice dream featuring colored glass, a child who looked like Timmy, and none other than Mike S. from church, who was busily cleaning up paper plates and cups at the gallery where the glass was displayed. (Cindy might know him....) Dreams never make sense, but when beautiful glass and Timmy are involved, who needs sense?
*
Linda, her twin grands, and I had lunch at the Green Street Tavern so I got my first taste of lake perch in 2008 (sorry, Judy!!) and see some of my former neighbors/customers when we still built in Manitowoc. Once Linda dropped me off, it was a waiting game until it was time to leave for dinner with Lisa, Gabe, and Manny in Sheboygan, taking Jill, Danny, and Lynn along in my car. Manny learned the fun trick of rolling his eyes and crossing them high up in his head, making us laugh and laugh. Gabe was a bit feverish so she was going to give them some breathing treatments and off to bed when they got home. Poor guys feeling bad from colds...Oh, by the way, I ate perch there, too...
*
Noah wants to come up here to have dinner tomorrow night with our plans to go to our favorite family place loaded with TV's and sports stuff. We like going there because they can accomodate large groups at once, plus the food is good. It's a bit noisy, which is fine when you're dining with kids, as memory serves me.
*
On most Saturdays, Mom and Lynn usually go for coffee and bakery, but tomorrow Lynn has to do a presentation to a group of motorcycle instructors. When she's done, we're meeting her for breakfast at an orchard bistro to have apple dumplings or bacon and eggs. They have it all. I've been there before and it's quite charming, not too far from Lynn's school. I wouldn't mind going to Copp's in search of my hull-less popcorn or similar, maybe some natural casing hot dogs, and more sugar cookies. You have to try one of these cookies before you dismiss them as "just sugar cookies". Linda brought me some in February and they were so delicious. I know the lady who works in the bakery department and certainly she can fix me up, as they say. Cindy can't help me out with the popcorn, though, that might be my friend, Susie, who works there, too! It's not what you know, it's who you know...
*
Yes, it's cold out, but so far above zero, which is a good thing. Plenty warm with the family, and friends, as well.
...and the morning and the evening were the first day!

No comments: