My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, May 9, 2008

Poor Lisa!

Justin informed me first thing this morning that Lisa had trouble with the boys yesterday....he read Lisa's blog! Good boy! They took off on her and ran down the street, fortunately not in the road itself. She was scared, they were scared when she caught them, and a very somber mood was set for the evening. Lisa held her ground and wouldn't take them to "MacDonald's" as they'd planned. The boys knew they'd messed up and messed up good. Later both told their mama they would listen to her from now on.Does this look like that face of a child who would be so naughty when he's four????? He needs a shave........
*
It's challenging being a Mom, no matter what age the kidlings are. How interesting this happened just prior to Mother's Day when moms are being reminded about how "good" we are, how "good" our kids turned out, what "good" examples we set.
I remember a sermon once when I was working in the nursery at church, and Justin was being a beast!!! The sermon went on and on about what a good mom or parent is, what God expects of us, the joy of parenthood, and so on, while I'm being pelted with cars and toys and books.......I think that's the most inadequate I've ever felt in my life!
*
If memory serves, the three of us went to lunch at Ryan's Restaurant that day, my favorite at the time, where I had WI cheese soup, enjoyed the buffet, the yeast rolls, and ice cream. We went home, then, and Justin took a lovely, long nap. I read the newspaper and watched TV, peaceful and calm-like. I also remember feeling a tad guilty that I enjoyed being a mom more when my child was sleeping!
*
When he got up, his father tended to him, and we decided to go out to Villages of Fireside to the model home pool and go for a dip with John, Mona, and JR (who is 3 months older than his cousin, Justin!) (turned 21 on Wednesday at West Point Academy!!). I believe our partner in business, Curt, was there, too, and we swam for awhile. All of a sudden we saw something strange in the water and got out quickly. Was it a snake? Not the right color....What is that thing??? Here it was the insides of a diaper, the gel stuff which serves as absorbent, and had freed itself from one of the diapers!!!!! What a good laugh that was!!!! No matter how you look at it--the stuff inside of diapers is plenty scary sometimes!
*
After choir the other night, I chatted in the parking lot for a bit with another member. She told me something horribly frightening happened at their house that early a.m. It seems their 3-year-old son likes to roam the house when all are asleep and raid the office or kitchen, looking for nothing but mischief. His dad discovered in the morning that the child's bed was just loaded with kitchen knives!!! He'd gotten the knife block off the counter and was playing with the knives in his bed, with one jammed in an upright position where one false move...............I can't say anymore.............
*
They've had to install a lock on the outside of his door so he can't go on a mission like that anymore, can't cut his hair or the dog's hair, can't mess with stuff on Mom's desk or put anything into the shredder, including his fingers.......I wouldn't trade places with them for anything! I'm too scared now, wwaayy too scared!!!
*
On the bright side of memories: when Justin was a bit older, about 5, I was working nights at Sprint, his father took him shopping for Mother's Day gifts. He chose a beaded necklace, a little bag of M & M's, some Certs breath mints, and a tube of Chapstick. All these gifts carefully selected for his mama! Aw....he always gives gifts from his heart.

1 comment:

Lisa M Ellison said...

I'm worried about the little guy who wanders through the house at night. He's Manny's age! That makes me shiver!