My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

VBS Week at church

It's been a busy one already this week and it's only Tuesday! I am the greeter, registrar and official photographer for the event. On Thursday I am in charge of the dinner, and if our numbers stay up, I'll be ordering pizza for 40 people! Wow! Paul suggested getting the Pizza Mia pizzas which are only $5.00 each, and serve 8. This should work.
*
I am a bit stiff and achy from water aerobics, as strange as this may seem. It would be expected with impact-type exercises but not when we are bobbing about in the water. Today we used foam bar bells and did a number of different maneuvers to strength our arms and backs. Last time they used only the noodles (I stayed away that morning because it was too cold for me to join them!) and today only the bar bells. Nice people and not too difficult.
*
This morning in the e-mail I received a wonderful compliment---my new friend, Sharon, who was in the car accident last week, asked me to pen a letter to the Editor of the St. Augustine Record from her. She wanted to extend her gratitude to the unknown Good Samaritans who stopped to lend aid and rescue them from their upside-down vehicle. She approved my first draft, saying I wrote it as though I was a witness to the accident! I only wrote what I remember her saying about it on Sunday at the pool.
*
My friend, Linda J., got some wonderful news on Saturday while visiting their son near Chicago. Matthew gave her a package with a web cam in it and said, "Here's so you can keep an eye on all three of your grandchildren." Well, so far, there are only two grands, but that was Matt's way of saying, "We're pregnant!!!!!" Tears flowed all around, even down here in Florida for this most excellent and long-awaited news!
*
Martie and I went shopping and lunching on Monday, starting out at the Dollar Tree store in Argyle. I was told I could find bandannas there, but unfortunately, there were none to be had. We went down a few stores to Michael's and asked the young lady if they had any. She answered, almost apologetically, that they did have some bandannas in the $1.00 baskets. Oh, that's okay, I can manage with these! The colors were vibrant and we took all but two of them from the bin. What a great find and saved us from going to yet another store in search of these scarves. They are to be used for a game Lynn Kuske is running for VBS. Can't wait to see the bright colors on the playground!
*
After Michael's, we rode together toward 5 Points in historic Jacksonville in search of the Bloomer's store. I was on a mission to have a professional bra fitting. (Sorry if I offend anyone with this story!) When we got there, I told the nice lady I was there for a front-end alignment. She thought that was the funniest thing, and shared that with her co-workers just before we left. We had a couple more funnies before leaving with our purchases, mine worn right out of the store. I thought about just wearing the bra and walking down the street but was afraid I'd cause a traffic accident or something. (Seinfeld reference again!) Martie got an undergarment for herself, too, but didn't wear hers out of the store. The nice lady ordered a couple more of the same style and size bra for me and will call when they come in. It wasn't as expensive as I expected it to be, since one of the ladies Sunday said it could run as high as $60! So, when I saw how much mine was, it didn't seem so expensive. And the fit is terrific, the What Not To Wear people would be pleased.
*
This morning, after I got back upstairs from the pool, I saw Justin had called. He asked if I would take him for a haircut today sometime and would go where ever I wanted him to go. I called my regular ladies and one of them could take him if he came immediately, so off he went. I met him down at the salon and he was already in the chair. What a pile of hair on the floor!!! He looks so handsome now, even shaved off his little beard. He is self-conscious about his chins yet, so might grow the beard back in. Justin doesn't want to get that chicken-looking neck some get when losing lots of weight. I believe he's young enough yet that his skin will adjust, especially if his loss is gradual. I am proud of his weight loss and new grooming habits......he said he wanted to "look spiffy" for his birthday, using Gabe's expression.
*
I went to see my lady friends after leaving the beauty shop, since Justin used his lunch hour to get his haircut. After leaving their shop, I headed for home to work on printing off some photos taken last night at VBS for the craft lady. She needs prints of all the kids to put in a frame they are assembling. I only hope I get photos of all the children and not miss anyone. After VBS tonight I stopped at Office Max to buy more paper and an ink cartridge so I can print some more. She needs 4 x 6 sized photos, so I can only get one per page, the way my program is set up.
*
Tomorrow brings some friends to crop for a bit in the afternoon. I love having them come! I can work on cutting the photos apart and get them ready for VBS tomorrow night, plus I can also work on more bags for Travis. I missed out on a luncheon for my lady financial advisor who is running for an at-large seat on the Board of Supervisors. Thursday both Travis and Diane invited me to a debate but alas, I am occupied in the evenings this week....I really enjoyed the last debate I attended, met some nice folks there and heard everyone's stump speech.
*
I am quite sleepy so will put myself to bed now. Last night I had to get up to turn off my family room light, which comes on by remote control, operated by Travis' remote! When I came back to bed, I noticed the moon was out, but was a dark orangish red color, very neat. We'd had nasty weather in the evening but this moon broke through the clouds enough to look absolutely eerie!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not learn from my mistakes. Once again I was eating when I read this blog and just about spit out my food when I read about ypu and your "girls" as they on WNTW walking down the street. Yes I was eating late cuz I ended up having to work the night shift. It jsut made for a long day with the funeral and things. We made good tips though so that helps a bit.

Anonymous said...

good morning Kim!
I love you story about your "from end alignment"! As they say on What Not to Wear, "you gotta take care of the girls" Our VBS starts next week, they are trying it in the afternoon. We will see how it goes. they are also planning a family fun night on Friday night, with carnival games and such. Hope it goes well.
Love, Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda and Jill,

Sorry about the food spitting, Jill, you didn't learn from previous times! It's hard to get food out of the keyboard!

Martie and I had a great time being fitted, cracking jokes, using puns, and being measured----I don't know what's funnier!!!

I hope that VBS goes well in the afternoon. Ours is at night because so many people work in the daylight, both participants and church helpers. It's been at night as long as I've been here. Palm Coast mission congregation had 70 kids their first time out. Wow!

Hope you are doing well with your recovery! Talk with you soon!

Love,

Kim