My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Sunday, August 24, 2008

I feel like my arms have been cut off!

This message is coming to you from my laptop where I am writing from Justin's house! My building is yet without Internet and/or cable service restored since some time on Thursday, I believe.
*
Thanks to so many who wrote, called, e-mailed, or sent smoke signals to me, wondering how we did through the storm. It's finally over, at least nearly so. Today is presently overcast with a bit of drizzle which might not be terribly unusual for this time of day and this time of year. Having had no cable, I've not been able to keep up the weather channel news, other than what the local stations show. I have a tiny black and white (or, as Justin would say, "mother of pearl") battery operated TV to use until we have cable restored.
*
I am not sure where to begin with this saga. I may jump around a bit in telling my story....I hope you read the previous posting which will catch the readers up to when the Internet was lost. My supposition is that we lost our service due to the rather large tree presently lying across Astor Street. Wires are draped under the branches, and since the electricity was restored on Friday night, it seems the wires must be for something else.
*
I did still have some leaks in the same old places as prior to the roof being replaced which means it might not have actually been a roof problem to begin with. Lisa and Noah got busy pulling the TV and the love seat away from the walls and put down towels to collect the water. Lisa put a kettle behind the TV to catch the drips which made the most interesting clang clang clang as the water fell into the kettle. Lynn and I made with the towels and sheets to sop up the water in the river room. Once again, I was able to make the remark: 'the thing which attracts us the most to living where we do, is the same thing which causes us the most trouble'!!! Water!!!! I haven't checked my floor in the river room today to see if the wetness damaged the finish or not, because the towels are still in place should we have more rains yet. Someday I'd love to have my ceiling replaced in the family room, and my electrical stuff recessed into the ceiling, although the exposed conduit and boxes looks rather European....
*
I am not sure whose insurance would take care of such a dramatic repair as that, mine, or the guy who lives above me, or the people who live above him, or God Himself....In the river room the leaks come from the doors rather than from above and I am n0t sure of the solution to this situation. My doors are new so this is not the problem. It could have been the driving rain that forced its way between the slides of the doors. Oh, you know what I mean.....It's nothing a few dozen towels and a CHRISTmas table cloth can't handle!
*
At this writing, I can hear thunder and see occasional flashes of lightning through the closed blinds. It's like a cave in here, but it seems the boys like it this way. Tonight are the closing ceremonies for the Olympics and I'll have to watch them on my tiny TV in a very non-descript fashion. They'll have to be pretty spectacular to impress me on 4" of television. How did people live back in the old days?
*
My thoughts are scattered, since so many days have gone by since I last wrote! One of my self-described daily readers told me this a.m. that she thought of me last week as she was struggling with something in her purse while pushing her shopping cart along using her elbows. She said she thought, "Oh, Kim would be so upset with me for doing this!" Jennifer, you made my day!!!! Thanks for being so faithful....in every way!

No comments: