My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, September 29, 2008

"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout"

This is the advice I just gave my neighbors on the sun deck before coming upstairs to torture myself by watching "Fox" to see what's going on with the market, etc. When I first got down stairs, I commented to the couple who got there ahead of me that I needed to take a break from it and they thought it best not to discuss what's going on. As the others came out and joined us, we tried our best to not talk about it, but still the market and economy worked its way into our conversations. I suggested we'll have to move in together and Rose said that is just what Joe and she decided to do! They got married in Key West last Thursday, now trying to consolidate their households into one. I suggested taking the walls down between the units so we can all live together, which brought to mind the "Seinfeld" episode where Jerry suggests taking the walls down and Kramer says, "these are loading bearing walls, Jerry! You can't take 'em down!!!" The situation called for a bit of levity, if only inside my head....
*
Okay, enough of the O'Reilly Factor! I can't stand to listen or look at John Kerry much less have him sit and argue about who is to blame for this mess. The gentlemen from my building who were sitting outside are of the mindset to leave their finances set where they are, saying that right now, it's too late to try to cash out. Hugh said if anyone did pull out their funds they'd be liable for huge capital gains taxes. Yikes! I like to hear what these fellas have to say because they have nothing to gain or lose by sharing their knowledge and experience. Hugh has often said he wants to leave his assets to his kids and not the government or an uninsured contractor!
*
As my "high" today, Christine called this morning to ask about my beauty salon lady, Barb. Her mom wants to get her cut like mine, or, from Christine's description, more like Lisa's. Christine got to see Lisa when they were all down here in August and thinks that's what her mom would like. We also discussed the schedule for the Friday Musicale which begins its daytime concerts in November.
*
Plans are made to have dinner together mid-month but not firmed up just yet. She has a bit more time available since she's not working with Brenda W. at the builder's office right now and real estate has dropped off exponentially as well. Greg's business is providing for them nicely which frees her up for more interesting venues at this time. Making hay while the sun shines. Christine discovered cooking as a time passer and has also taken art classes with me and at the Cummer. We share a number of interests including writing and painting. She's a voracious reader and encourages me to be the same! I'd first met Christine at Justin's confirmation party as she helped prepare and serve the bbq meal at home after church-----wwaayy back in 2002! She told me there's a writer's function at Amelia Island this weekend but with the wedding, church, and the Jaguar game......can't go to Amelia this weekend. NUTS!
*
Joanne is coming back to town within the week, with her daddy in tow. He is going to an assisted living center with accomodations for Alzeheimer patients. Once he's situated, Joanne has to go back up to clean the house and finish getting it ready for marketing. Her other sister is there now to help with things but, as a Realtor, Joanne feels the need to make sure all is just as it should be before listing the property. I wish her well, and she's promised me at least a half day to just hang out and gab, gab, gab, getting all caught up on what's gone on in the months since she's been away.
*
There is a girl on "What Not to Wear" tonight who reminds me very much of Linda J.'s daughter, Jen, whom I just saw at Lynn's birthday party. She not only sounds like her but also resembles her physique, except that Jen is quite tall. This young lady is in a PhD program for music while Jen recently graduated as a registered nurse and works in an o.b. unit at a hospital in Madison, WI. So, as I watch them dress this victim on their show, I am thinking about Jen....and, of course, Linda!!
*
Lynn and Alayna were supposed to go cropping with Linda at the new shop Friday night but am not sure that happened. Lynn had gone down to Sheboygan to help with the boys because Lisa had a doctor appointment for her weeks' long ailment. Thankfully she was diagnosed quickly as having an infection in her intestines and was given some antibiotics and pain medication to help her feel better. I was hoping she wasn't having the same problems I did years after my C-sections and need surgical repairs. Because she wasn't feeling well, we didn't get to spend quite as much time together as usual. So, now I rejoice that she's on the road to recovery and will be like her old self in no time!

No comments: