My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I just met a low-talker!

Since the pile of laundry on the floor in my closet was growing higher and higher, I decided it was time to get to the store for laundry soap. Not that I've not been at the store in recent weeks, but somehow I neglected to get that necessary item. Today I made a bee-line for the soap aisle to ensure getting what I came for. Usually I'll take a quick inventory of the basket contents before getting into the check-out line to make sure I actually did have what I came to get. Obviously I didn't have a specific mission on the other trips when it came to laundry detergent!
*
Twila is supposed to be coming for cropping today but our other friend, Caroline, once again has other things on her schedule. She felt badly to always decline but from now on will plan around cropping so she gets to come. Caroline and her husband are prospective members, currently going through the 'instruction' class privately with Pastor. Not only do I like Caroline and like scrapbooking, it is also part of job to incorporate and keep in contact with prospects/new members. One of my favorite things to do!
*
For our lunch today, I bought white mountain bread, sandwich meat and cheese to make our own sandwiches instead of having Twila pick up subs for us. I bought the Hillshire Farms sandwich meat which comes with its own Gladware container, because they were less expensive than the store brand---imagine! The store brand soda was also quite cheap so that's what I took for my refrigerator. Justin picked some up for me the other day and it wasn't bad, so I can do it!
*
Not wishing to waste a moment, I made my way to the check out, and found only one open. I don't like the self-checking aisles, I like the personal touch of having some one do it for me. The checkout young lady was seemingly new to the job, had the most delightful accent, perhaps from the Islands. In attempting to process my purchase I needed to scan my debit card twice before she got it figured out. But, the young lady doing the bagging, was the low-talker. She must have asked me three times where I got my shirt (one of my postcard looking tops) before I could hear or understand the question. She had dramatic black eye make-up on, jet black hair in pigtails and wore glasses, rather the character, but I never took her for a low-talker! Good thing I wasn't wearing a puffy shirt!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kim! I prefer the regular check-out lines, too.

These days, I'm beginning to wonder if everyone is a low-talker ... I think I'm going deaf. I'm always saying "huh?"

Kim Lahaie Day said...

You know, I thought the same thing myself for a moment---is it me??
Am I going deaf now, I am ole bat ears usually, and at first I thought she wasn't even talking to me. Why would this hip chick even want to know where I got my shirt???

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I don't have to deal with the low talkers. I just have to deal with gum chewing people. Lately I have had so many gum chewing people come into the parlor and can't talk well because they are gnawing on there gum. Now of them chew quietly either!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

The first thing Suzanne said when I walked into choir was, "I don't like low-talkers either!". And, to top it off, she said someone complimented her shirt yesterday at the grocery store, and I asked, "At Winn-Dixie?", and she said yes!

I'd have little patience with open-mouthed gum chewers, especially around the ice cream buckets---yech! It could be worse, could tongue piercings!

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Good morning,
I thought of you on my way to work today! I took the scenic route along the lake to see the sunrise God was painting for me, and "it was an angry sea, Jerry".

Have a blessed day, love you lots,

Linda