My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Kindly note the date of this posting

Many of the readers can remember where they were when they heard President Kennedy was shot. Where they were when the OJ verdict came down 13 years ago (they got him this time though!!!!). Some might even remember the speech by FDR, (on the radio and not the TV!), about the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Even I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard Elvis Presley had died. Baby-boomers might recall the news of the day the music died, Buddy Holly, etal. Some in my very own building remember the plane crash which took their fellow band members lives, barely surviving themselves, Lynyrd Skynyrd.
*
Of course, for most recent memories, the terror attacks on our nation on 9-11-01. We know where we were and what we were doing when we heard about the first plane, and then the second, and the third, and the fourth going down in the fields of PA.
*
I remember something else, which, at the time, was earth-shattering and momentous to me. And, silly me, thought it was the worse possible news one could ever get............we are so simple-minded as teenagers, aren't we? Anyway, I remember exactly where I was and what I was wearing and who told me the tragic news that one of my "idols" had died. Janis was dead, at the age of 27, October 4, 1970.
*
As I search my memory banks, a little Star Trek lingo there, I cannot think of any of my friends at the time who were also Janis Joplin fans. They might have gone along, endured, but don't believe they were so caught up in the idea of Janis as I was. This didn't bother me in the least, not being one to be mainstream, as it were. I love that raspy bluesy jazzy Bessy Smith delivery. Present tense. I'm listening to Janis as I write, as is my custom ever since she died. Used to make my spouse crazy having to listen to it the entire month of October---well, that might be an exaggeration about the entire month...........
*
For years I'd contact my sister, Lori, or she'd call me, and remind each other of what day it was, like I'd forget........

No comments: