My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, October 3, 2008

"The last thing this guy is qualified to do is a reality tour!

While I am writing, I am also listening to a "Seinfeld" episode on the Internet, the one about selling muffin tops. Kramer starts a bus tour of sites and sounds featured in someone elses book. In reading on-line the other day about the history of Seinfeld, something like this really happened with the character Kramer is based upon. Cool! Someone threw Kramer out of book signing, treating him "as though he was raving maniac!!!" Oh, really?
*
Justin was over on Wednesday afternoon and I asked him to take a look at my thrashing machine for me. I asked why the switch had a left and right on it, with center being Off. On the right side of the button is an R and the left side has what I thought was a lower case "l". Silly Mama!!! It turns out that the R, which is where I had it set, really means Reverse! Okay then! All I needed to do was move the switch to left of center (it galls me to say that!) for paper grinding. It won't begin to grind until a certain gizmo is touched inside the shredder. I got it all figured out and I'm a shredding fool!!!!
*
Now I'm sad---my friend, Brenda N. just called to tell me she can't go to dinner tonight after all because she is "dead". Not as bad as she sounds, it's just that she was on the jobsite today cleaning a house and is totally wiped out. I understand because I vacuumed at church and my back is aching from that little bit of work. My friend is in town visiting and is coming by between appointments. The timing might be just right to go have dinner!!!
*
This afternoon I was meeting two friends at the movies so arrived a bit early to get tickets. While I was waiting on the bench in front of the theater, talking to Martie, a group of young men came out, one carrying a pink box. I moved my purse over so they could sit and one of them did, opening the box to expose cup cakes. These were not cup-cake-looking guys, let me tell you. Some had piercings, were smoking, wearing the drooping drawers, the whole shootin' match.
*
The cup cakes were frosted with pink icing piled up high. One guy asked if they were bothering me and I said no, that I made room in case someone else wished to sit. Well, you should have heard the exclamations of delight from these men, eating their pink cup cakes! One guy (remember I was still on the phone with Martie...) was going, "Oh, my God, oh, my God" over and over, so I told Martie the cup cakes must be delicious because he was calling on the Lord over it. We all chuckled, the guys and me, and then the one sitting next to me offered me a cup cake. To be polite, I refused, but when he insisted, I accepted. The other guy was just about rolling on the ground, it was so delicious, and I asked him if he needed some time by himself....It was so ironic to see these rather gruffly attired guys were so openly enjoying their pink cup cakes!
*
Martie was laughing her head off, not even being there to see it for herself. One of the guys, as they finished their cup cakes, commented to me that he was the only one of the group who remembered they'd parked on the other side of the Mall. So funny! As they walked away, a different guy was having troubles with his bike and a couple of them assisted with getting it upright again. You can't judge a book by its cover, but you call judge a cup cake by it's pink box!! The shop is called "CamiCakes", located just inside the Mall near the movie theater doors. Yummy!
*
We met such great folks in the movie theater, all were like-minded, several had served in various branches of the service. Oh, it was such a great movie, funny right from the start. All the seats were filled, at least as far as we could see. It was rich with satire and comedy all the way through, even prompting a bit of tears at one point where a man was saying good-bye as he leaves on deployment, because "he wants to go". Very, very good, and will see it again. Kelsey Grammer plays an important role, with Jon Voight playing George Washington perfectly. Even "J. Peterman" from 'Seinfeld' had a role as a maitre d' at a restaurant----it's even mentioned as part of the movie!
*
We went to have a snack after the movie at TGIF and recap, able to dine el fresco because it was warmer outdoors than inside! As we sat and chatted, I heard someone call my name and sure enough, there was Christine and Shannon passing through. They were having a girls' day in celebration of Christine's birthday, which was yesterday. It was so wonderful to see them, since I haven't seen Shannon in months and months. She is as gorgeous as ever, now a full-time student at St. Johns Community College. Man, it was just great to see them out and about.

You can see where Shannon gets her looks!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I may have to skip this movie for a while. Dave will be deploying at the end of November for 6 to 8 months. He's been home a lot and driving me nuts. I joined a support group to get email news about "happenings" going on with the ship. Like Family Fun and Cruise Day. I got an email this week about a meeting being held called "What to expect during deployment". Mike will be going as he works up there....for now. With Merrill Lynch being sold we don't know what is going to happen.

Anyway, I knew the deployment was coming but it hit home and I got all teary eyed and weepy. The bottom line is I remembered to give this all to God. And as I was typing this I figured out what to get him for his birthday and Christmas, since he'll be gone for both. A phone card!

Please keep him and all service members in your prayers, and this weepy Mom too. I really wish he was on a carrier instead of a row boat!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Cindy!

The movie was not sad, but what moved me was the fact I was surrounded in the theater on all four sides by folks who have had to do the same thing as this guy in the movie. I was the "kid" in the group, never having to say "farewell" at the port my soldier husband or son.

You'd better not tell Dave his ship is a row boat though, or you might not be invited back again!

Hugs and loving squeezes,

Kim