My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sittin' in the sunshine and it's freezing outside!

I just stepped outside to grab Justin's visor from my plant stand and nearly froze my toes off! In that short time.....the thermometer reads 34 above zero! What is going on around here? Only two weeks ago we were facing record high temps and now my toes are freezing! I am wearing his visor because the sun shines right into my eyes at this time of the day and I had the brainstorm to put it on. In about an hour the sun will have moved around and up a bit more and then it's not a problem. And it's not really a 'problem'---only I can't read when it's in my eyes, can still write (type) but not read what I've written!
*
Yesterday I heard from one of the ladies at church, one of the game players who was here to play "Seinfeld" Trivia with me. She has some great ideas for finding a facility for the Ladies' Advent Service other than our classroom building or Fellowship Hall. I love having someone show initiative in these matters, a spirit renewer! Her name is Kathy and is a wonderful pianist and strong alto.
*
I got all choked up Tuesday when Lisa sent the invitation to Gabe's birthday party. It's his 5th and that just hit a button with me, as I remembered making the plans for Timmy's 5th birthday party. Instead that day ended up being his funeral day. Timmy wanted to have a pajama party but only those who actually wore pajamas were invited! Since I wore night gowns instead, I was not on the list! Betty from our office was going to be able to come since she wore jammies and Pete Prange was also invited. I wore gowns and his father slept in his undies so NO party for you!!! To circumvent the rules, I went to the store and bought a pair of jammies, and I still have them, never worn.
*
I also have the birthday gifts, unwrapped, that I'd bought for his birthday, purchased ahead of time since I knew I'd be home-bound after my surgery. His father was going to take Timmy, Justin, and our employees' little kids to the Ringling Bros. Circus as part of the celebration. Oh well. We also had received birthday presents, wrapped, with the CHRISTmas shipment from family in WI, which I never opened, but sent them to his father's house instead. I "toyed" with opening the presents and seeing if the preschool could use them but opted to leave that decision to his father. Probably trucks or Thomas the Tank Engine stuff.
*
Gabe has chosen a dragon theme for his birthday and Lisa made up the cutest invitations. He is getting to be such a big boy, has sung in church twice already this year with his Sunday school and/or preschool class. I am so looking forward to seeing him in the CHRISTmas service at Calvary Lutheran in Sheboygan on the 21st. Lisa told me in e-mail yesterday about Manny asking to pray "Come, Lord Jesus" at bedtime and Gabe saying that was the supper prayer and not bedtime. Lisa cleared it up for them explaining asking Jesus to sleep with us is okay, too, which they accepted. She said Gabe "preaches" to Manny, especially when he's doing something naughty, telling Manny if he doesn't behave, Jesus is going to come and give him back all his sins! That kid needs a pulpit! Talk about a Law Deliverer!!! Lisa straightened out this doctrinal matter, too, but I sure did have a good laugh about that, just imagining Gabe preaching at Manny!
*
After the Packer/Jaguar Game, Lynn and I are going to fly together from JAX to MKE attempting to get her back in time for choir rehearsal on Wednesday. That way she'll only have to fly alone one direction. Glad I have my entertainment tickets purchased well in advance because I'll have to cut back on that type of expenditure for the time being.....rats!
*
Not too long ago we were talking, Kim and Justin, with someone about Timmy's pj party plans and what a turn of events it was to have his funeral on his birthday. Justin piped up with the profound comment, "Timmy did have a pajama party, only he wasn't there!", because our entire upstairs was made into a dormitory for our houseguests, mattresses all over the place in the media room and game room, and people in their pajamas!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your temperature is the same as ours. Thursday we're going to have a heat wave - high of 60!
Lynn

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Lynn!

The weatherman said yesterday our temperatures were 16 degrees below normal. I just don't get it! Judy is coming next Saturday and I already apologized for the cool temperatures. We're supposed to get up to 61 today, being 51 now already. We'll be back in the 70's soon but not soon enough for me!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

It is cold indeed, Kim! Hanna said.. what's that white stuff on the grass? Frost in FL! Eek!

Waffle & Syrup scented pajamas no doubt! :)

Love you Kim!

Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Thank you for being a faithful reader! I told my sister-in-law in WI about what Hanna said and it's so difficult for snow people to imagine non-snow people! But, it's true!

Yes, you can be sure Timmy's jammies would have had syrup on them! Smell it now!

Hugs,

Kim

Tarren Prange said...

You have to put a warning on posts like this one (Read with a box of tissues). I wasn't prepared!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Tarren!

Thanks for reading and writing!

My sister, Lynn, has often said I should put a notice on the blog if it may stir emotions because she reads at work and it's not the best situation for weeping.

I never know what is going to initiate a sorrowful memory, who'd think a kid's birthday party invitation would............

So, anyway, thanks again!

Love and hugs,

Kim

"I thank my God everytime I remember you"

Anonymous said...

What a bittersweet blog. You have to alugh about having to wear pajamas but they get tears with the other parts.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

Tarren made the same comment about the tears flowing. Don't blame me for bringing it up, though, blame Lisa for sending the invitation!

I asked Lisa if you guys can do the name exchange when at Gabe's party so I can find out who I shop for this year. Try to remember to do that, okay?

Hugs,

Kim