My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, November 3, 2008

In Christ Alone

What an absolutely amazing day we had yesterday! Other than waking up far too early in the morning, due in part to the time change, I was like a bride on her wedding day! The night before, I'd laid out some clothes for church plus another outfit for the afternoon service, but when I looked at my blue slacks, I noticed they were blue with white fuzzies. Instead of singing the Crystal Gayle song of "Don't it make my white bras, don't it make my white bras, don't it make my white bras blue....." like I usually do, I had to sing another ditty about washing towels with navy blue slacks! "Kim's sister, Lori," as she is affectionately known, would have a royal fit if she knew I did such a thing. I need to get a sweater shaver or something to de-lint my pants before I can wear them confidently. I am SOOO above sorting clothes, I dig my heels in about it, but then, have to change my wardrobe plans when something goes terribly wrong!

And, really, what could be more terrible than fuzzies on pants?

Before church I created, printed, and then cut about 60 postcards to invite the ladies of church to the Blu Grotto next week Monday night, our Ladies' Group Social outing. Yippee! I managed to distribute them all, even though some ladies said they don't do this kind of thing any longer. At least they were semi-formally and personally invited! Instead of buying the pre-scored and perfed postcards from Office Max, I've switched to using card stock and cutting them apart myself using my scrapbook tools. It saves lots of time with formatting and such, plus the extra cost for the specialty papers.

I arrived as Bible study was underway but was able to reach in the back door for the easel and bulletin board for standing in the breezeway. There are postings on the bulletin board and I like to catch people's eye as they enter the Fellowship Hall in case they don't check the bulletin board inside. It still surprises me when someone will say to me: "I never knew about that!!" when they miss out on an event or what have you. Or here's another one: "I never look at the bulletin board." Okay, why? Isn't that only shooting ones' self in the foot then? A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but even a little bit could get you to the Blu Grotto!!!

After Bible study I dug out my Greeters tag because the fellow who was on the schedule wasn't there yet. In the Fellowship Hall the Sunday school kids were busily finishing their Reformation projects and I got to see some of the completed pieces. The room was crowded with coffee drinkers and kids and, yes, fellowship! I grabbed my soda and went out side to greet.
*
Oh, I have a digression------on the way to church I stopped at Sonic for a drink. When ordering I asked if the pumpkin sticker was still in effect and Brenda said it was. As I pulled up to the window she told me I was on the "permanent" button on the cash register as a regular morning drink stop! Well, what do you know about that? All I have to say when I order my drink is that I have a sticker and that gets me my 44 ounce diet Coke for half price. What a blessing that is in days when I am cutting back on expenses!!!! I'd rather drink soda than eat food, but don't make me prove it.......

Back to the church: I greeted at the doors without a partner but when I heard "In Christ Alone" being played, I popped the door open to listen. Fausto was ushering and he offered to greet for me so I could come in and hear Robbie on piano, Suzanne on viola, and soloist Brian present the anthem for pre-service music. I knew they were going to do it because Pastor asked me earlier when the choir was singing today. I told him we weren't singing at Good Shepherd so he found out what the scoop was from Brian. Of course, it was just lovely and I wish more had already been in church to hear it.

Because of my wardrobe malfunction that morning, I had to wear my other black shoes which by this time were killing my toes. After taking attendance I went to sit down right behind Lawcocks. Poor Sarah had the jimmie legs and couldn't find a comfortable way to sit, stand, crawl, climb, or settle. Emily went over to the preschool and found some coloring pages for Sarah but even the pages had little relief. She's too old now for going into the nursery, going to be 4 years old on the 22nd. Can you believe it, those who know her???

We sang the great Reformation hymn, A Mighty Fortress is Our God, which makes me think about Gerry Rubbert, our member who died two years ago. The congregation stood for the final stanza but Gerry would have stood through the entire "battle hymn of the Lutheran church"!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
If it makes you feel any better, I too had a wardrobe malfunction. I had a black pantsuit all picked out, that I felt would be perfect for the long day ahead, knowing that I wouldn't be home until evening. I'm not sure WHAT was on the blouse.. it was either coffee spills, tea or.. here's dating how often I go to the dry cleaners... baby burp! Hmm.. the "baby" will be 4 in a month and a half! At least I think it's baby burp. I just don't know.. I haven't worn it in so long, I have no clue! Pitiful me.. I hope I didn't wear that suit on a business trip, who knows what my clients might have thought!

Guess I'll put it on my list... go to dry cleaners!

Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!!!!

Oh, that is just too funny, would have made the perfect "Seinfeld" episode. Two women (that we know of anyway!) having troubles putting together an outfit on Sunday mornings. My mom says she has clothes spread all over her bedroom on Sunday mornings when she's trying to decide what to wear. Usually I don't have a problem but yesterday wanted to be special.

Hey, maybe the baby spit up was from someone elses' baby!?!? Does that help at all?!?!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine a split screen of women all over, hurrying around in their underwear, finding just the right outfit, only to find it spoiled in some way, because it's been so long since they last wore it, or worse.. it doesn't fit any longer. Oh the agony of Sunday mornings!

Imagine that.. all those dressed up ladies on Sunday mornings, everyone looking so nice.. but.. to go to the "one hour earlier" shot.. the chaos!

Ha!

Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

It could become a weekly series!!!!!!!