My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's a blessed day!

Don't you always feel better after a good night's sleep?!? This is most certainly true for me. It was the oddest thing that woke me early, however----no one yelling for "help" from the next condo, no cat gagging on it's own hair. Nope, it was the furnace kicking in to warm my quarters! The thermostat is set at 74 degrees and there is no reason really for me to set it lower as normally my room stays fairly comfortable for sleeping. The little radiator thing I love so much is set at "low" all night long, the heating pad tucked into my bed warms my shoulders, and my comforter does just that. The morning sun, when it is there, warms the room nicely, which means that the rest of my home, outside my closed doors, is quite chilly! By the time it really was morning, I got up and dressed for the day, not one bit chilly at all right now.
*
It's not cold enough in my house to freeze the Slush, though. When we lived in WI, we'd make big batches of a drink called Slush, for obvious reasons. In order to freeze these large containers of "liquids", we'd set them on the back deck and only visit them to give a stir. The alcohol addition to the mix did not allow the ingredients to freeze solidly, only turned the mixture to slush, hence the name. It would be a very sad day here in Orange Park if I could keep my Slush on the porch!! Hmmm, I think I should make a batch for when Lynn is here, a small one, of course. We can mix it up, add the soda, stick two straws in the ice cream pail used to freeze it, and slurp away! Talk about an Eskimo Pie migraine!!
*
In speaking with my friend, Kristi, from church last night, I found out she had no more tickets available for the Clay County CHRISTmas Concert at Thrasher-Horne Saturday night. I got in touch this a.m. with the ticket office and secured two seats for Martie and me. Her CHRISTmas present from me is a date to the T-H for this show! Kristi is in the Chorale and will be performing as will my upstairs neighbor, Donna Wissinger, who is a renowned flutist. What a great way to begin our celebration month for the Savior's birth!
*
Some of the others from church will be there at the concert as well and am wondering if there will be some before and/or after fun to be had....Speaking of fun, last night Martie was my date, or I was hers, I guess, at our Art Guild CHRISTmas party at the Lions' Club. Oh, my, what wonderful foods we had to eat! I was embarrassed because I only brought a 'pre-made' beef and noodle dish where another couple brought a whole roasted turkey, complete with mashed potatoes and gravy! In my defense, I'd say my donation matched my mood, which started out as a "whatever".....
*
Spending time with my lady friends at Guild is great fun and good for my soul, as I shared a table with Dee, Martie, and two other ladies. I recently accepted a position, not really a Board position, to serve as Mentor for new members. When the one lady congratulated me, I said, "I thought the job was for "mental", so that's why I took it!" Her hubby thought that was so funny, but he didn't know I meant it! I won three ornaments in the drawing so came home with a gift bag with bulbs and ginger cookies tucked away for a midnight snack. Never saw midnight!
*
When checking my e-mails this morning, I saw one from the insurance company from whom I buy my health and Rx policies. It is renewal time again, and I recently took care of that business. I did have a question regarding the Rx portion, bought separately, or so I thought, so wrote them an e-mail about it. Today's message was that last year's policy actually included the Rx package and I was paying extra all year long. No one caught that apparently and so now she is going to mail me a nice reimbursement check for the overages I paid! This check, while not all that substantial, is better than a sharp stick in the eye, and will pay for most of my CHRISTmas shopping. It is a blessed day!!!

4 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hi Kim!
That's a nice unexpected gift, a refund for your insurance! Merry Christmas to you!

I'm following your lead, and I've set up my own blogspot. I've only got the first blog on today, but I'll be adding to it as we go. You know, I always have fun stories to tell...like, seashells in the toilet! Ha!

I look forward to seeing your smiling face tonight at church! Thanks for letting me know about getting there early, no one else has shared this news with me, so had it not been for you, I would not know!

Blessings, my friend!

Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Congrats on entering the world of blogging!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. What is the address to reach yours? I'll be faithful, I promise!

You are most welcome about the info regarding choir. Robbie, The Maestro, made the announcement after worship Sunday and Judy might have already been in the Fellowship getting the snacks ready. I'd better let her know, too!

Hugs and writing blessings,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Your thermostat is at 74. Mine is at 70 during the day and 66-68 at night. I would be roasting at your house. Suppose I will wish for that when it is really cold here. Not too long ago I also received a check from my insurance. Paid off some bills with it. Time to go and get ready for some serious sleeping now. Good night and love you!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jilly Willy!

Or should I say Chilly Willy? No, those temps would not suit me one little bit. Not this hot-house flower!
Our low temp is predicted to be in the 30 again tonight, can't remember exactly how low, but the highs are getting to 60's, near 70 closer to the weekend. I like my room warm but the rest of house right now makes me shiver!

What good news to hear about your insurance refund. Did you overpay, too? Glad you put yours to good use, paying off the bills, etc.

I hope you do have a very good sleep!

Hugs,

Kim