My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I have a mission for you!

Yesterday, when visiting my niece and her family, her hubby got called into work for a little while to take care of something which only he could handle. He is the food and beverage manager at a yacht club and is responsible for all things related to food and beverage service, including those who actually distribute said items. So, off he went!
*
Tina, Rayna, and I enjoyed the time getting caught up on family matters such as what is happening with her grandpa, now in an Alzheimer facility in Green Bay. Also, her parents who live in south Florida, had been considering, and actually preparing, to sell their trailer in Davey and relocate closer to their daughter and family. That plan has been scuttled, however, because Palm Coast does not offer the medical facilities now both her parents require. The nearest 'fine' hospitals, clinics, and doctors would be in Jacksonville, an hour north of Tina's; not the best idea for two people with failing vision and health. Not a happy decision to come to but it is reasonable to make sure they have ready access to medical care, as historically, this has been vital.
*
In the course of our conversation, we turned to cameras and video cameras. She mentioned that they were thinking of getting a video camera since now they have two little beauties to capture for posterity. I told her how I just recently gave my video camera to my nephew, Jamie, who also has two little ones to record. Not that that would have made any difference, I would have still let Jamie have it, but still, it seemed funny that two family members have the same need, or want, as the case might be. She wished Justin had come along to lend some wisdom to which is the best way to go video camera-wise, since he so incredibly techy. Keith and Tina's camera has the capability to record video but it eats up their memory space so quickly that it is hardly a feasible solution.
*
I told Tina that I have friends with babies, some brand-new grandchildren, and some with kids in grade school and told her I would ask around to see which is the best way to go as far as recorders go. Should they go the way of video tape, as compared to digital as compared to direct to mini-DVD or regular DVD????? I am counting on the experts who follow this blogsite to help us out here with your personal advice and/or cautions. Thanks!
*
Sadly, this young family is feeling the pinch most of us are feeling, but theirs is mainly due to having to add a second child to their childcare expenses. Tina said it will cost an extra $800 a month for Rayna's childcare in addition to what they already pay for Maya's care. Tina works from home and simply cannot have the children there when she is conducting business, very much like my friend, Suzanne, in her home office. You cannot have conference calls with clients and a baby crying at the same time. I know, we ran our building business from home for many years, when we were a 'family business' but it was much more conducive to conducting business when the kids weren't with us!
*
It is not financially feasible for Keith or her to quit working in order to care for the kids themselves, allow I did throw out the option. I recalled for her when Lisa had Manny and she toyed briefly with the option of quitting work to stay home with the boys, saving the childcare expenses. The Lord's hand took over and Noah's hours were switched to nights, which allowed for a parent to be home with the kids almost the entire day. A couple hours in the afternoon has the kids, mostly Manny, as Gabe started pre-school this past fall, at an in-home childcare situation with a fellow church member. Lisa takes their child along to pre-school, so they cross over with services!
*
Something I meant to mention: thank you all so very much for the loving and supportive messages I received this past week, the funeral week. Lynn, thank you for the very beautiful card, the message in it was truly perfect, just like the other cards you send me! Mom, thanks for the check for the tuition assistance Memorial set up in Timmy's name at Precious Lambs! All others, particularly those who were with us during that tragic time, thanks so very much, especially those who remember without being prompted......this means so very much to me, to Justin and me! By the way, he did not vacuum on Monday when he got here---he just laid on my bed or sat on the bench and we listened to "In Christ Alone" and "Jerusalem..........." with tears streaming. You can be a big shot 21 year old cool dude with your friends and co-workers, but you can let your guard down with your mama, and even download those hymns onto your iPhone for future reference...............

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim--I enjoyed reading your blog--FINALLY!!! I thought the pictures at the end are great!! You are so talented, not to mention you keep busy to say the least. What I especially appreciate, YOU ARE ON FIRE FOR THE LORD AND IT SHOWS. That is great!! Speaking with you this morning made my day especially this time of the month. My prayers are with you as you go through this one day at a time.
Will continue to be in touch.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Rosalie:

I am so glad you got the blogsite to work for you again! Yippee! Don't know it happens but my sister in Oshkosh cannot open it either. She blames her firewalls or something.

Thank you so much for the kind and sweet words! I have not had the paints out for some time and really should get at them. I do have a piece, the purple watercolor, hanging at Great Hang Ups Gallery right now. I'd love to sell it!

My day was made, too, in speaking with you on the phone vs. only e-mail. I appreciate your thoughts, prayers and remembrances. Thanks for saying those nice things about me, too. I love you!

Hugs and kisses,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hi Kim,
A few thoughts here..
First, yes it is very expensive adding the second child into the mix. I was so thankful this fall when Hanna started kindergarten and we could stop paying the daycare expense for her. Before she started school, with both of them going to daycare, we were paying $1100 a month or more for both of them.. and they're not babies, which is more!

Secondly, no, a work at home person cannot conduct business when they're children are home if client interaction is involved. It becomes difficult for me when Hanna returns home at 3pm, but thankfully it's only two hours a day.. and maybe only dealing with clients 50% of that time. I have had to apologize to my clients because of children interruptions.. but most of them understand, and many are jealous that I have the opportunity to work at home.

As far as the dvd thing.. I don't have a recorder.. my camera does video... but I would stay away from tapes. They're a thing of the past. The mini-dvd's seem to make for a smaller machine, but would most likely offer less storage, and a regular size dvd player would be great.. instant dvd.. but a big device. The techie that I am, I'd probably lean towards digital and load into a laptop or desktop, and convert to dvd or cd. However, cost being a factor.. I'd go with one that burns dvd's.. the small ones play just the same as the big ones. It's just a matter of choice really.

Tarren Prange said...

I have no input as far as what type of video camera to purchase. We decided the short videos our digital camera takes are sufficient...we know way too many people who own video cameras and either never use them or don't watch the videos that they do take. It does take a lot of the digital camera memory to record, but once they are downloaded, you can delete the video and have your camera memory back.

I loved the story about Justin! Very sweet!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Thanks, Suzanne, that is just the type of input we were looking for. Tina's camera takes video but totally eats up the memory capability and has to be "removed" before being able to take pictures or more video. Ther must be a better way!

Thanks,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

God morning, Tarren!

Thanks for your input regarding the video cameras. I gave my "old" camera to Jamie because he asked for one on his CHRISTmas Wish List, knowing he would not get one......fooled him, didn't I? Anyway, it used the mini-cassettes for which I have an adapter to play via VHS which is also now obsolete. I will make sure Tina sees this info and can digest it.

About that Justin........yeah! Thanks!

Love you,

Kim