My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Good News and the Bad News

The good news is that I am really really enjoying the "old" movies on AMC that are being shown prior to the Academy Awards event on Sunday night. They are showing movies which have either won or were nominated for Oscars over the years. This means I have gotten to see all or part of "The Godfather I & II" since the weekend. I really like these edited-for-TV movies, hanging on some of those famous lines and scenes that make for history.
*
The bad news is that this same network also seems to run back to back to back advertisements for the most wretched of all products. No, not the Scooter Store, but instead, gulp, a "male enhancement product". Oh, for heaven's sake! Enough already! I complained about the repeated ads for the "Forty Year-Old Virgin" on USA several months ago but these particular ads truly make my skin crawl. Is nothing sacred or private? This seems so back-alley or vulgar to even discuss on "regular" TV when normal people are trying to watch a mobster hit or see horses heads under the blankets on a movie mogul's bed. I do remember when feminine hygiene products or even toilet paper were considered daring to advertise but really this just blows my mind and offends my sensibility! So there!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Kim. I hate those kinds of commercials!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

GOD morning, Jami!

Thanks for chiming in on this. Marketers and sinistre will force this type of advertising and its lifestyle down the throats of consumers, or in this case, TV watchers and we do nothing about it. Just so we can watch our mindless TVs.....We get what we deserve!

I am in that type of mood today, in case you did not notice.....

Hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

I used to hate it when they aired Massengil commercials all the time! Now, it's better to show the different "ED" medications! But then, look at what they air on prime time "regular" tv these days.

Last night, I wanted to watch Grey's Anatomy, which John just hates! Yes, hates! They have everyone sleeping with everyone, even same sex, and the doctors kill at least one person an episode. I said, yeah, but you only see girl/girl... they don't dare show boy/boy relationships! He said when that happens, I'm banned from watching it!

We've become a desensitized nation!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

You have hit the nail on the head with the de-sensitizing issue. Many years ago, when we still lived in WI, I was talking with my brother-in-law about not "allowing" the premium cable stations into my home (should have been "our" home....) because of the filthy language. Harvey made the remark, "Oh, I don't even notice it anymore" which made me leap into his face and shout, "SEE?????" My point exactly, first we abhor it, then we tolerate it, then we embrace it......

Hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

Remember the phrase.."it's okay to be gay!" Yeah, right. I don't think God would agree! I think it was a Seinfeld episode.. "not that there's anything wrong with it..."

The HBO channel has become known as the "F-Bomb" channel in our house. It makes me nuts! I manage my days without using such words in every sentence. Sometimes, I play a game, and give it 30 seconds, and count how many times I hear the "F" word! It's appalling how high the number gets.

Sensitized indeed. We allow one level of offense, then it's no big deal. Then we move up to the next level.. and then.. another. When do we say, enough already?

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Oh, yes, I certainly do know the episode, "The Outing", as I own the entire boxed set, you know. The cast repeating the phrase, complete with arm gestures, was the way to get it past the network censors. And it caught on! Imagine that!

We say "enough already" right now! Refuse to participate!

Hugs,

Kim