My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, February 2, 2009

A new week....

....which actually began on Sunday. Our re-formed choir, as compared to reformed, sang two times as part of the worship yesterday. One was a psalm from the CW Supplement, #37, which was sung only by the choir in an attempt to familiarize the congregation with the new psalm tone. We also sang a hymn from the CW hymnal in keeping with the Jubilee Sundays we are recognizing this week and next. Certainly next Sunday the congregation will have mastered the hymn and will be able to simply pick up the hymnal and fly with it!
*
Two men whom I did not recognize were sitting toward the back of the church, one younger and one a bit older, as though father and son. Both went to the Lords' table so I assumed they were WELS and knew what they were doing.
*
On the way out of church, I whispered to them to make sure they filled out the Friendship Register which they did. After church I broke away from the huddle and grabbed them as they were leaving, and introduced myself. They told me their names and the older of the two explained that this nephew helped him sail his boat down here to Green Cove Springs where the older man (probably in his 60s) is going to live. Neat! They came from VA with the boat but the man said he was from Fond du Lac which "launched" me into some excitement. I told them I was from Manitowoc and pointed out some others with WI origins, and he expressed to me the joy he has in worshiping in WELS churches because of the assurance of being taught Law and Gospel, and familiarity of the hymns, etc. Good!
*
He said he would be coming back again to worship since he lives so close, just a few miles down the road from me but his nephew was flying back to CA where he was from. The older man asked me if I attended MLHS and I said I did, as well as my 4 other sisters! It turned out that his sister, Carol, was in my class, and his other sister, Connie, a few years behind us!!!! Imagine my excitement! In fact, I was so excited I have totally forgotten their names but can only assume the older guy's last name is the same as his sisters was in high school. Good thing I prompted the Friendship Register signing!!! Evidently Carol and her hubby had lived on the Gulf Coast for a while, with him serving as a principal in St. Pete or another congregation in that area. The search begins!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol and Connie Reiter??
Not sure of the spelling of the last name.
When our son Patrick was born we attended the church their dad pastored at in Wilmar MN. They took our younger two over night the night Patrick was born. Our plans changed because the people who were going to take the kids were gone.
Small world....
I think I'm right about the name .

kathy b said...

Thanks for reaching out to the newcomers!! It's a blessing to have new folks visit and then become a part of our fellowship. Also, thanks so much for being the fabulous hostess you always are and having a SUPER Super Bowl party. It was a great time and a good mix. We'll need to put our heads together on ways to work up more youth interest . . . but we can't give up! Also, thanks for lending your voice to sing praises Sunday. :)

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hi,
I'm glad you said who they were, I was wondering as well, and hoping they were WELS.

Any idea who the lady with pink hair was? Hanna sat down right next to Grandma,and stood up pointing, stating loudly, "Pink Hair! Pink Hair!"

Just curious...

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Anon.:

It has to be the same ones, what are the chances? Please tell me who you are so I can acknowledge you properly.

Thanks!

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Kathy!

You, too, are most gracious and especially so since I now got to know Kevin and Kelly! In the flesh, that is! Facebook does not quite count as "meeting" people. Certainly I enjoy having company but wish my back had felt better, the heating pad makes a huge difference and today feels better. We did have a good mix!

Ideas to stir the young people....hmmm, I have some contacts at a church in Morton Grove, might do some brain picking......

Thank you for playing and leading our choir, it is much appreciated!

Love and hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

When Pastor dropped off Anna for the party last night I filled him in on who they were and he was relieved because they came to the Lord's table and such. Very nice guys, and I feel like I know them already---how odd of me!

The pink-haired lady is our member, and I will tell you about her another time. The hair color is not an accident and I must say the last time she was in church she wore a funny hat with streamers down the back. If she was a college student or something, it would not seem so strange but a woman nearing retirement age...........shall we say, interesting? She came to Bible study this a.m. which is good, and was meeting with Pastor afterward so did not come for lunch.

Leave it to kids to point things out, but it was not like you could not see the pink hair!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

For some reason I can't sign in under my google id. don't know what the scoop is.

It was me Diane!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Dee Dee!

I suspected it was you but not really sure. Thanks for clearing it up. Yes, it is the Reiter girls, and their brother, whom I met yesterday. Cool beans!

Love and hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Wasn't their father a pastor in the area.....maybe Kiel or some other country church? Sounds very familiar. I used to know all the pastors or at least their wives when I went to the meetings and all the rallies. Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom!

Yes, I think Kiel is the answer to the question! Dee Dee thought she knew them in MN, too, which is quite likely. I checked through wels.net for the last night the young man gave me but found none with that name, either retired or active, pastor or teacher. Will keep looking though.

Please stay warm!

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

....ooops, typo in my answer to Mom's comment: it should read "last name", not last night.....