My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Man, it is windy out there again!

Not quite like it was a couple weeks ago when the winds were clocked at 71 mph...Nowhere near THAT wild but enough so that all the papers blew off the table in the river room where Joanne had been busily working last night. Once gathered, I weighted the tossed pages with the binoculars. Finally I had to go close the doors because the decorative pane hanging in this room was just going bang bang bang against the wall, something which could not be tolerated for very long.
*
This morning was Bible study and then Longhorn, with a total of 10 people in attendance, so much for my wondering if we were even going to go! Gretchen had a birthday recently so the wait staff brought out a dish of ice cream with chocolate on it, sang and clapped, and she turned every shade of red. Then I led our little group with "Happy Birthday" and made her redder yet. But she also loved it! Sorry this is not more clear, but since I took it with my phone, that is the best I can do! See Darwin, Ethel, Gretchen, and Bonnie all having a good laugh over the birthday treat!
*
I nursed my last can of soda during Bible study, "Come, Worship Christ". We had the real treat of seeing and hearing Pete sing on the video tape, which was moving enough, but then the choir was singing, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives"...oh, my! Our discussion took us through selected hymns which clearly detail what the Lord has done for us, spelling out His creation, the gifts He gives us, the things done for us, especially our salvation. One of the hymns he mentioned was "In Christ Alone", a newer hymn which so perfectly sums up the work of the Lord.
*
We turned in the Bible to Philippians 4: 8 (Linda!!!), which is my funeral chapter, and read this Bible passage that helped me get through a lot of stuff before and after Timmy died. It served to help steer my mind away from what was happening around me, redirect toward more uplifting thoughts. Next, the lesson took us through how the melody and tone of a hymn or song move us, such as elevator music, shopping music, on-hold music, Christmas songs, etc.
*
Pastor went to the boom box and asked us to listen to an unnamed hymn, and indicate how or if it moved us....Two notes and I knew what it was, to which I piped, "You're killing me here...." almost without thinking. Yes, he played "Jerusalem, the Golden"....." "forever and forever are clad in robes of white. Jesus, in mercy bring us to that dear land of rest..." I commented that we about conducted my funeral today with seeing and hearing Pete Prange, the Bible reading, "In Christ Alone" and now "Jerusalem, the Golden"! Sniffle, sniffle....
*
"Jerusalem..." is playing right now as I write, because it has been rattling around in my head ever since he played the snippet during Bible study. Most of the people said they could not really understand the words but did notice the dynamics of the piece, how it begins softly and crescendos with the addition of horns and louder singing, "Forever and forever are clad in robes in white"...Pastor asked us what the hymn made us think about, and since the others had problems with the words, I offered my response (surprise surprise!) that it is a picture of heaven and what we long for. "The shout of them that triumph, the song of them that feast..." If memory serves, when Pete and Tarren played this for me the first time on his laptop, the words were not so clear, and I fear that the initial impact was lost on me. Now, of course, it's a whole 'nother story. The best story!
*
My phone was active during Bible study and in the restaurant, and I caught up on the calls on the way home. My dear friend, Judy, called from MN with her excited report on the weekend WELS Women's Retreat in Stillwater. She is pumped and inspired by the wonderful messages she heard, the hymns she sang, and people she was with. She is trying to think of ways to lure me up there for a retreat, even asking me later via e-mail if I would ever consider being a speaker at one of the sessions. Certainly much much consideration would need to be given to this idea, since much expository information would need to be shared. Would I be up to it? Sure! Would I get through it? No promises there!! Makes me think I should be working on my book, getting it wrapped up, as it were, to help me get wrapped up, too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
This is a happening, I was at Hobby Lobby the other day, just poking around, and found picture with the Philippians 4:13 verse on it. Of course I had to have it, and it was 50% off!!!
I have been listening to the hymns from the supplement in the office. I love them all!
Wouldn't it be fun for both of us to go to a retreat with Judy R!!! I think we should look into that.
I also think you should wrap up your book!!! You know how much I liked it!!!
We sang "Heaven is My Home" at devotion this morning, I did ok, didn't need a tissue, but almost!

Love and hugs,
Linda J.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you always have some tissues with you. What a wonderful Bible study though. You always seem to know what to say when no one else does. Such as when you would help me with Dan's religion. I knew what to say but not how to say it. When in doubt call Kim. it is only 8:15 and I am ready to go to bed. It wasn't busy at work and there is not much for me to do so I get bored. So I am more bored tired than physically tired. So I think I may go do something physical like dishes and then get ready for bed. Hugs!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Linda J.:

Yes, this is a happening! How neat about the paper from Hobby Lobby! What do you in mind for it? Bet it will be perfect whatever you do!

We listened to the CD yesterday and now a bunch of ladies want me to organize a mass purchase of it from NPH. I just spoke with Pastor and he says okay. We save shipping and sales tax this way.

I admire your ability to not weep singing "I'm But a Stranger Here"! No can do!

What a great idea about joining Judy for a retreat, the three of us!!!!! Would certainly be a " 'tis good, Lord, to be here.." time for us all!

I will start thinking about the book, more and more, I promise. Thanks for the encouragement, my friend!

Love,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Wow, thanks for the compliment!!! I really appreciate that. In one of those surveys that circulate, the question is asked about what we do when bored, and my answer is, "I am never bored." Guess I am good at amusing myself!

Sometime we have to say to ourselves, "Just go and empty the dishwasher!" or "Just go and take care of that garbage piling up!", like someone telling us what to do. We would rather not, you know? I love my desk chair too much!

Blessings,

Kim