My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Manitowoc on the national news!

I was so excited right off the bat this morning.......while lounging in bed, reading my Grandma book and watching Fox and Friends, they started the segment called "News by the Numbers". All the stories start with a number, today's first number being $338,000,000 for some ridiculous expenditure on the government level. The next number was 22, the age of one of the youngest mayors in the nation, elected Tuesday in none other than Manitowoc, Wisconsin!!!! I did not even see the next stories as I hurriedly grabbed my phone to call Linda J. who was certainly watching F & F at the same time. While the phone rang, I ran out to the family room to tell Joanne about it, and a very tired Tommy answered in Manitowoc. I woke him up! I'd dialed the home phone instead of the cell number for Linda so I told him the exciting news, although my excitement exceeded his at the moment. As I talked to him, I had a call waiting, and it was Linda, calling me on her cell phone. Bye, Tommy, go back to sleep!!!
*
Talk about great minds thinking the same way! Linda and I chatted about the very close election, only apart by 15 votes but no recount expected as the election has been certified already. Wow! The young man who won, Justin Nickles, still lives at home with his parents but truly has a head for leadership and politics, supposedly his lifelong goal is to be president some day. He is following another strong leader serving our fair city and hopefully will be able to overcome the short-sightedness with which many in my home town are plagued.
*
Linda told me she heard a funny quote the other day that made her think of me, how good friends are like Chinese food: something about always being available, some thing some thing, and only a phone call away! Which certainly proved to be the case this morning!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi;just have to make a correction on your statement about J.N. living at home......he does not.....that was one of the critics things against him. He has his own apt......so he is a tax payer through paying rent just like me.....love Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom,

I stand corrected but I do not see how renting makes him a tax payer, unless you mean income tax. He would not be responsible for the property taxes on his rental unit. His landlords do, though. Thanks for the correction....

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I think renters indirectly pay the property tax. Everytime Marty's taxes go up, he hikes my rent.
Lynn

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Lynn,

Well, I guess, you could look at it that way, as he covers his overhead....probably when the real estate insurance goes up too, your rent goes up.....

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I see mom set you staight on where Justin is living. Guess I should say Mr. Mayor. I have known Justin since he was just a young boy in first grade. He is friends with the daughter of Sally Schlei who I used to own Sally's formerly known as Phil's Drive In. A very nice young man that I believe sis going to go far in the political world. someday I think he could be prez.

Dave Schipper said...

yust a pup... I wonder what my dad would have said.

David

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi David!

Can you imagine what your dad and the others his age would have said? What about Randy's dad, I wonder what the scuttle butt is around the coffee counter at Covered Wagon these days???

Hugs and Good Friday blessings,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

Yes, once more, Mom straightened me out! I was still under the impression that he lived with his folks and wonder how he can afford rent on his wages, and tuition, etc. Good for him, know how to stretch the dollar---what's left of it, anyway!

I miss Phil's Drive-In!!!

Ice Cream Cone Blessings,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Good Friday greetings!
The days of Phil's drive inn and Lates and the Penquin are long gone. Oh to be young again and cruisin'. I wish the new mayor the best and pray for him. He has a tough job ahead of him. I heard that when he was in grade school, he didn't want a back pack, he wanted a brief case!
We just wrote our checks for taxes, I think they covered quite a few stimulus checks!!! The Lord has truly blessed us, I don't mind paying my FAIR share. Thank you Jesus !!!!

Easter hugs,
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.:

Justin Nickels sounds like Alex Keaton from "Family Ties"! I do wish him and the fair city well. Did the Penguin close again? Mom and I ate there in Spring last year I think....I got food to go for Arno and me when I was up there in September...hmmm.

Thanking Jesus every time I think of you!

Kim

Anonymous said...

The Penquin did not close, we just don't go cruisin' between those places like we did when we were young!!!
I was thinking of you this morning when I looked out my kitchen window and saw the sky glowing red from the beautiful sunrise!!! I bet it was spectacular from your river room!!!

Easter blessings,
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.!!!

I have gotten more than one phone call regarding the gorgeous sunrises as well as expressions of jealously over the lovely moon reflecting on the river. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for your blessings!

Penguin remembrances,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim.
I am behind in reading the blog. It's funny you write about Justin. He grew up on Silver Creek Rd in the house next to my dad. I even know him!!! Small world...I talked to my dad on Friday and he told me Justin had won the election. Good for him.
I am still dealing with this stinkin sinus thing....no fun.
Off to read your next post.

Diane

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Dee Dee!

Wow, what a coincidence that you know this young man! Which part of Silver Creek Road was this--near Schmidt's or west of there?

What a great way for our fair hometown to make the news for a change!

Hugs and wishes for health,

Kim