My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, May 8, 2009

A quiet Friday night, so far

Hey, where are my scrapbookers??? Well, Twila is leaving in the morning for her timeshare with Twila Squared and her kids, so she was too busy getting ready for that to go cropping. Hmmph! No, really, though, it is okay, she is excused. Anna is busy moving, or getting ready to do so, making this not the very best time for cropping. Caroline is having some serious back troubles making it impossible for her to ambulate, much less crop. Kelly is on her way to Sarasota to see her father-in-law for what might very well be the last time, so she, too, is excused. Friday night crops here are generally the church ladies and none were available this time, which makes for the peaceful, quiet evening with the full moon on the river....
*
Last night before I went to bed, I checked the e-mail one last time. Sure 'nuff, there was a lovely note from Linda, asking if the moon was beautiful here, too, as Lynn and she witnessed the same moon in WI when leaving Bible study in Mishicot. It warmed my heart to know, to almost be able to hear them, discussing our shared moon. Certainly Winona had the gorgeous moon lighting its sky and thoughts of the river crossed minds there, too.
*
Poor Joanne was so tired when our dinner was over that she went right to bed. I made quick work of what was left to clean up in the kitchen, and although Jo said she would finish in the morning, I told her to not worry about it at all. Certainly I can clean up after my gatherings. The ladies are quite good about clearing dishes away and putting leftovers away in the smelly fridge. There was little left behind for us to deal with, as the ladies took their remnants home. Christine took a dish or two of my taco salad home with her, supposedly for Greg, but she told me not to be surprised if he never got any of it! My grumbling tummy tells me now to go get some of my own leftovers to enjoy for supper!
*
While we were eating, I got a phone call from an old friend, reporting that a cry had gone out for prayer on behalf of our friend, Cindy and her mom. Mom had taken ill late afternoon and into the evening, requiring an ambulance ride to the hospital for Teresa. She was put on a ventilator and the medical people seemed of the opinion that her systems were going into shut-down mode. She has been ailing as long as I have known her, probably about 7 years now, and Cindy had finally taken her parents into her home to make it easier to care for them. Now, the very nice lady whom I refer to as "Mother Teresa" was lying near death, and Cindy was asking for our prayers. Updates tell us that Teresa has fluid in her lungs, for some reason, and attempts are being made to remove that, plus they are treating some sort of infection as well. It might be the crisis has passed for now, but it is really quite "wait and see" for her.
*
Our dinner was quite lovely despite the news about Mother Teresa, but we had a couple empty seats at the table. I hate that because there is nothing better than a full table! The Brendas both had work so couldn't make it, Dee had artists dropping off work to be hung at the library, and Justin made plans to go the gym with Jesse. He assured me they were going to the gym at his student suites, the one I pay for in his rent, rather than the one where Jesse is a member. Justin did express his desire to pay extra for the gym Jesse belongs to, because, of course, the machines are better, the treadmills are better, the maintenance is better, the sky is bluer and the girls are prettier, etc., etc., etc. Everything is better than what he already has, the story of his life....Justin claims it "only" costs about $30 a month, and in his case, there are many many other ways he could spend that money than a duplication in services, but what do I know? I am only the mom.....
*
Oh, yes, the dinner....(I just went off about the gym situation, didn't I? This is only one "issue" that I have with him right now, but Monday he starts his summer classes and I pray that he does not, again, at the last moment, decide he blew it and not take those finals! Ugh! No wonder entire days are dedicated to celebrate mothers!)*******Chicken enchilladas, dirty rice, homemade key lime pie, taco salad, and oh, yeah, toquitos! Add cherry pie, a perfect match for the key lime tartness, and we have ourselves a wonderfully filling meal! With my delicious sangria to wash it all down---which reminds me---I have some leftover in the fridge, which, by the way, does not seem to smell like fish any longer.....
****
p.s. Late afternoon yesterday, Agnes called and apologized to me for messing up on the time for the luncheon. If only I had waited another couple of minutes, the ladies would have started to arrive. But, no, I left and missed the whole thing! She promises to call me the next time they meet and give me the right information this time....and I will be more patient and wait for them to get there!

No comments: