My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, June 22, 2009

At the end of the day.......

.........we have a dramatic electrical storm! And yes, I am on my computer during the best of it! The storm came as quickly as it is leaving, at least, it appears to be moving south quite rapidly. The waves are white, crashing against the breakwater, and a lone osprey is soaring, riding the wind, as it were. Impressive! Lightning is striking on the opposite side of the river, and since it is not night time yet, looks creepier than if it were.
*
Joanne got home only moments before the storm, which thus far has not brought rain, because on Monday nights she watches The Bachelor on TV. I vacated the family room so she can enjoy her program. I know of some others who also watch this show plus various programs of the same ilk, and then they wonder "Why?"...She reported that the north end of the building has already been painted, which I never would have known unless I walked down there. I saw some white on the face of the one portion but assumed it was primer/sealant. I wish we could have gone somewhat more daring with the color choice, but as Donna, one of my neighbors, told me, "Kim, you are our accessory!" I was wearing a particularly outspoken shirt that day with many of the colors I would have preferred instead of the blah yellow that was chosen. It really does not matter, in the big picture, because the mildew will be gone with the building looking fresh again when they are done.
*
This afternoon I spent some time poolside, enjoying the lovely hot weather. I was not alone, others were there for the same reason. While I was sitting at the table, I gave Mom a call just to chat, and in the course of the conversation, she observed her parking lot full of police cars. Four of them, this time! Enough!!!! Mom said she made some phone calls this morning to get prices on apartments, including the nice place we toured with Clara Petska. Yesterday she heard someone pounding on the neighbors' door, begging to be let in because he had just gotten out of jail.........Okay, so when can we start packing the boxes????
*
My late morning/early afternoon was spent at the funeral, and what an interesting service it was! Steve was buried from his church, which I am sure was a blessing for his parents and family, and had planned his service months ago with his son. The hymns he chose were all CHRISTmas ones, even "Silent Night", because, according to the service folder, Steve felt that this day was when all people feel "peace". It was nice to see his former spouse, Margo, again and their daughter, whom I had not seen since she was an infant. Margo is not working right now, having been laid off from her brokerage job. I felt so terrible for her, having to deal with all this right now, but she was holding up.
*
When Timmy died, my sister, Lori, remarked that she had never before seen so many grown men openly crying. One of those men was serving as an usher today and I reintroduced myself to him as Timmy Day's mom. Immediately his arms were around me, as yes, he did certainly remember me. When I answered that I am doing just fine, he was so glad to hear it. He knew Timmy well because his son was in the same classroom. This man's wife did not remember who Timmy was, and I can safely say here in this venue that she not as "hands on" as the dad was with the kids. Sort of a role reversal. We had been at their home for Steve's parents' 50th wedding anniversary party years ago, but I cannot remember exactly when that was....
*
My neighbor, Pat, was also at the funeral so we sat together. She was familiar with the order of service plus knew many more people than I did, because she is also a Realtor. Isabel was holding up quite well, but Steve's dad was not.There were many photos and momentos on the table in the narthex, including his wedding photos and pictures of his youngest daughter, Rebecca. His older son is married and has a child of his own, and his older daughter appears to be in her late 20's, at least. Steve's family who remembered me asked about Justin, which pleased me greatly. After all these years and all these events, they still remembered Justin!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will start to save cone boxes from work for mom. We will get her away from there as quickly as possible if she says the word. I am glad that I did not follow through on the thought of moving in next to her. I understand that landlords want their places filled but at what cost. The losing of your good tenants? Very hot and humid sticky hugs today! Jill

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

Go ahead and save the boxes if you wish. Not too big though or we cannot lift them. Lowe's has uniform sized boxes and bubble packing stuff, too, which is really nice for dishes. Newspaper leaves things too dirty, bubble squares work well and protect the glassware.

The manager as much as told me that the landlord only cares about the rent coming on, and not the rest. Too much drama over there nowdays, too much!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Sorry to hear about the trouble for you mom! I can save boxes here for her, too. The paper cases are about the right size. Hope she finds a better place.

Tonight is Evening Circle picnic at Joan's. Looking forward to a pleasant evening outside in the heat!

Have a blessed day,
Love you lots,
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.:

AWESOME! I am excited about your picnic tonight at Joanie's! Sorry we did not get to have lunch with her when I was home. I know tonight will be a blast, even if it is above 75 degrees!!! Oh, you guys.........

Thanks for saving the boxes, this really makes it seem like it will happen. Mom should not have to watch all this real life police drama, leave that to TV!

Blessings,

Kim