My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, June 26, 2009

A good time was had by all!

Yesterday morning was our water aerobics class. Maggie O. came this time but her friend, our friend, Ellen, was feeling too sunburned to come down to participate. She really got scorched on her first day out in the elements Tuesday. I should have watched her more closely as we sat and talked for hours and hours in the sun!
*
When the class was over, one of the ladies, Lonnie, invited me to have lunch with her friend and her at The Club. Phyllis lives in the Capri which is the building next to mine and was walking over to meet us. Of course, I said I would but cannot go into the dining room in my swimsuit. Lonnie had pulled a long dress on over her clothes so would have met dress code. She suggested to Phyllis that we dine poolside, as Ellen and I had done Tuesday, but when Phyllis came back with the menus, she said she would prefer not to eat from the foam "to-go" box. Instead, the hostess set up a table on the patio just outside the addition to The Club, complete with table cloth, flowers, the works, just for us!
*
An aside: as I look across the river at the approaching storm complete with lightning, I see the boat that looks exactly like mine dashing toward "home" before the storm comes on full force. I miss my boat, do not miss owning it, but miss riding in it! "Sittin' Pretty" was my boats' name, wonder if that is it....
*
Back to lunch: Lonnie wanted me to meet her friend, thinking we would have much in common, and I guess we did. Other than being neighbors, she is friends with one of the ladies in my building, considers herself a frustrated editor, and was just a delight. Both ladies are substantially older than I am but it really does not matter. They laughed at my menu choice however, as I played "stump the waitress" by asking for a hot dog again. She looked at me like I ordered something quite exotic instead of something so low brow. I told her I had it on Tuesday so she went to check, reporting back that indeed, I could have a grilled hot dog! The other ladies had regular menu items while I ate one of the two dogs they brought me and some of the fries. It was great fun to chat with these ladies and appreciated being made part of their little circle!
*
After lunch I came upstairs and exchanged my swim clothes for my nightie since I did not want to get re-dressed right away. It is hard to get clothes on after being in a swimsuit most of the day, what can I say??? The afternoon was spent working on the church newsletter which will be an abbreviated version of its usually longer form due to the fact that little is taking place around church during the summer months, particularly since Pastor and family are on vacation. Today it is finished and was e-mailed to the recipients forthwith!
*
This evening I am attending a play with Maggie O. and Ellen in San Marco called "Into the Woods", a take-off on children's nursery rhymes. Joanne's dad has seen it and found it quite amusing. I am looking forward to it, especially spending time with my friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I did spot the manatee. Wonder if that is what I look like in a pool. Busy day for me today. Work adn then to the movies with Dan. He wanted to see Transformers. Good to get him out of the house. Soon it is back to work cuz I must defrost the freezers. With the hot temps they frosted up faster and the ice cream is getting soft. Hope you enjoyed your play! Hugs!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

The funny thing about the manatees are that they eat grass! So why are they so large??

Justin loves the car in the Transformers ad, the Bumble Bee car, so I will guess he will see the movie, too.

Have a good day today!

Kim