My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, July 20, 2009

An "oh my goodness" moment!!!

At one point this late morning, I went into the kitchen to get a soda from the fridge, and noticed the painters on my porch. They are such nice, friendly guys so I popped my inside door open to greet them. One man asked me where I had been because he said he "had not seen my smiling face" lately. I explained that when the sun isn't shining, I will not come out to sit by the pool, so that is why they did not see me much last week. Plus, as I noted, they did not work when it was raining!
*
As I was chatting with them, the one man asked me where I was from. I asked him, "What makes you think I am not from here?" and chuckled. He said I didn't sound like it so I confessed to being from WI. Remembering I still had two bottles of water for them, I offered my "guests" a drink, which they accepted. Since they had gloves on, I loosened the caps before handing them over.
*
Stepping back inside, I started a conversation with them through the screen door, regarding the news of the day. I asked, "Did you know that today is the 40th anniversary of the first moon walk?" The one man jumped into that right away with, "I know. I wish that Michael Jackson wouldn't have gone that way....." WHAT? Michael Jackson? What does he have to do with the moon------oh, wait, not 'that' moon walk, the REAL moon, Neil Armstrong on the face of the moon, kicking up dust....It never occurred to me that these men would think I was talking about dancing!!! The one guy said, "Oh, you're talking about the real moon, not the dance floor." Yes, the real moon, reflecting the sun's light to use at night, making living where I do so much more enjoyable! Oh, my goodness, no, not Michael Jackson, no....................

8 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

That's pretty funny! Not the "moonwalk", but the Moon Walk... I didn't realize it was the anniversary, but had seen some "stuff" in passing by the tv, and wondered why all the attention. Now I know!

If I haven't told you today, my dearest friend, I love you!

Hugs!
Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Glad I could brighten your day with a history lesson! How appropriate that the man that announced the moon landing just died this weekend.....

I love you, too, you are so special!

Love and hugs,

Kim

p.s. how did it go staying home today?

Suzanne Chappell said...

You're joking, right?? How did it go? How do you think it went? My children ran "rough shot" all over me! Again! I finally said, as I was screaming at them..."You wouldn't have acted like this with your grandmother, so WHY do you have to be like this for me?"

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
That's a hoot! the "moonwalk"! I remember exactly what we were doing when they landed on the moon. We were living on 7th street, our first apartment. We were frying steaks on the grill, and watching the coverage on TV. it's hard to believe that was 40 years ago!!!

Beautiful summer hugs
Linda

Kim Lahaie Day said...

I have heard it said that "nostalgia is what you WISH you had....". Last week you were lonesome for their little faces and today they were in your face!

Sorry 'bout that! It will work out once you are all used to each other again. Funny how the kids are so good for their grandma???

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda!

I do not remember where I was, but I will hazard a guess that I was at home, being "only" 13 years old when the men landed on the moon---no dancing, only walking!

Fabulous evening hugs!

Kim

Anonymous said...

It is funny that this guy thought you were talking about MJ. Did they make this big of fuss when Elvis died? I don't remember. Now we lost a huge journalist and reporter and he gets only a few days of recognition. Must go and facebook to see if I can find soemone to work an hour or two for me on Thursday so I can go and have lunch with Linda, Dawn and Kay Lynn. I haven't seen kay Lynn since graduation. Sunny and perhaps later stormy or rainy hugs!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

I remember where I was when I learned that Elvis died---standing by the coffee cup rack in the dining room at Shady Lane Home, getting ready to set the tables for supper. Our maintenance man, Paul, and told the news, which people did not believe.

1978, I think. Lynn will know. In those days before 'round the clock news, it is hard to tell if the entire world was upset and how long. Here the press keeps fanning the flames in order to distract us from the real issues in the world!

I hope you do get to see Kay Lynn!

Hugs,

Kim