My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, August 24, 2009

God's abundant provision of grace!

.....sing with grace in your hearts to the Lord! We are not finishing our study of "Come, Worship Christ" as I had advertised in the newsletter all summer long (someone should have told me differently, right?) but instead are studying Psalms. The same type of study actually since we sing the Psalms, too. The Bible study, titled, "The Gospel in Psalms", was written by one of the seminary professors, a Hebrew expert, we were told this morning. We met in the Fellowship Hall once again after all these years, since the classrooms have been moved into the official structure!
*
We had a nice turnout of ladies, no men joining us today. This particular study does not go Psalm by Psalm but rather goes forth and back between the Old and New Testaments, showing how the Gospel was pointed out and fulfilled. I was touched by several of the verses we read including Ps. 36:3 which says: "The words of his mouth are wicked and deceitful; he has ceased to be wise and to do good." For some reason that just struck me, because that is how we are, our sinful nature, our inclination. On the other hand, Romans 5:17 shows us: "...how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ." Wow, good stuff, good stuff!
*
We did all end up eating at Longhorn, even Twila, who had to leave in the middle of the study for a doctor appointment, yet made it back for the all important lunch. She called me when she finished up so I put in her order, which was delivered to the table only moments before she walked in the door. THAT is good customer service, Patty! When I say "all", I should mention that Ethel did not come with us, but the rest of the class was there. Someday we must entice Pastor to join us again, he came once when they first moved here, and that was the last time. Mondays are generally busier days for him, so I guess he is excused!
I did take a moment to pop into the preschool classroom as the kids were finishing their lunches. Kindergarten does not actually begin until tomorrow, as I guess there is some sort of staggered start date for kindergarten. I am not sure I will get back over there to do the photography so they might have to go without, unless Twila Sr. takes her camera along. I am as excited as Mario is for the first day of school!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Kim! When Dan had to do journals for Religion last year We did a section on Psalms. They were very interesting to say the least. One week from today school starts. Dan won't admit it but I think he is looking forward to it. Did I tell you that he is taking Spanish this semester. At least he will try it. I like it when he leaves his comfort zone. Must get going and get ready for work. Sunny "fair" hugs! It is fair week.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

I don't think I remember his journals from religion class but Psalms is a great place from which to work. I hope you kept the journals, I might like to read them.

What a good thing he is looking forward to school starting and branching into a new language to boot.

Fair Week and it's sunny??? How can this be?

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Good morning; We are doing Psalms with Kathy......on a break right now 'til Oct.There is a lot of good stuff in the psalms...took us several weeks to do 1&2.We are still on Genesis with Pastor R. had a few weeks off.and Pastor S. filled in with the Luther class...fun. Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom!

Doesn't it feel so good to be up to our elbows in Bible study?? Especially the Psalms, because, as you say, they have a lot of good stuff in them. I like Psalm 31, want that read at my funeral, also Ps.46, which has the "be still and know that I am God..." passage in it.

Fun,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I love 46. I love how it builds during the roaring of the waters and the mountains quaking and the nations are in uproar and the desolations, etc. and then all of a sudden you hear, "Be still and know that I am God." The choir has done a version of this with trumpets and timpanies.
Lynn

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Lynn!

That sounds like it must have been wonderful with trumpets and timpani! "Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and ...though the waters thereof roar and be troubled..."

Do you remember Pete Prange using "be still..." in the funeral sermon? He used, actually, "be quiet, I have it all under control..."

I loved the Psalm before and even more now that I can press it into service!

Love you!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Family responses to your blog how wonderful. Sorry I do not have the journals anymore. What they had to do is read then write and then describe what they read and how they felt about it. Not always an easy task for us but we did it. It did rain last night the opening night of the fair. Jill

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Yes, I love having the family share here! Too bad about the journals because those could be so interesting to look back on. I would think reading the Psalm, then writing about what we get from it is easier as an adult, after having lived through some of the same things the inspired writers did.

Sorry about the rain on the Fair, but it is customary!

Hugs,

Kim