My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, August 28, 2009

This place is a bee hive!

My printers are both cranking, my desk piled with colored papers, photos ready to be cropped, talking on the phone, pressing out letters to be applied to a bulletin board---whew! All this while listening to the radio! Yes, I am a producer today! The photographs are being printed for scrapbooking tonight over at Victory Lutheran. Some of the other items are intended for putting together a bulletin board, abandoned in the Fellowship Hall after the preschool moved to the new classroom building. We are having Mission Festival this week at church, focusing on our LWMS "Befriend a Mission" program and the missionaries "assigned" for us to adopt. How did we ever get these things done before computers and the Internet????
*
I really would like a nap before heading over to Victory because of staying up too late to watch the football game and then a wonderful movie, "Freedom Writers" starring Hillary Swank. Such an incredible movie (note to Kim----get that one next!). It came on a second time at some point during the night because I woke up and heard the movie in about the same place it was when I turned it on the first time around! Either I had seen this in the theater the first time or rented it, somehow, "Freedom Writers" became an instant hit for me. An English teacher tackling the inner city school kids, at first rebellious and wretched, wins them over while introducing them to literature and journal writing. Good, good movie! But now, I am sleepy!
*
The football game was enjoyable, and came down to the crunch, with the Jags losing to the Eagles by one point in the last ten seconds. As I was talking with Suzanne on the phone, giving her the play-by-play. I related the final seconds of the game, counting a total of eight hands touching the ball, making it look more like basketball than football!! Whoo hoo!
*
Even though we talked on the phone and Facebook chatted for nearly two hours last night, we had words leftover. We met to have breakfast this a.m. in Middleburg, after she dropped Daniel off at school. Suzanne had never ever been to the Black Creek Cafe so I introduced her to it over waffles with strawberries! She thinks John might like this place because it has good, home-cookin', including advertised menu items such a "Framer's Special" or "Redneck Special"! Waffles are good enough for me, or at least, the half I ate!
*
Each of us had banking business to take care so we parted company, with me heading back to Orange Park and her to the Middleburg branch of the same bank! The skies looked quite threatening and it was not long before I was driving along in the rain---again! No thunder and lightning, just a heavy, steady rain. By the time I pulled in at home, it had pretty much let up so I had time to get my soda case from the car without getting drenched. Rain---the great equalizer!
*
Connie, The Palace maintenance lady, sought me out to see if I wanted to join her sister and her for a show at the Thrasher-Horne starring Vicki Lawrence. What I did decide to do was throw it out to the neighbors to see if a group would like to go en mass. Jessica, the official title-bearer of Social Team leader, thought it sounded like a good idea so I will put it in the newsletter this weekend. Hopefully Connie will be patient and wait to buy her tickets until we know who and how many from here will be going.
*
I printed a mess of photos from the Alaskan Cruise, and, yes, I am a bit behind in my scrapbooking! Oh, they are so pretty and such nice people went on that trip with us. It will make for some lovely pages, to be sure. Also, I was putting stuff together about our mission in Apacheland, AZ, which is where one of our missionaries serves. Considered to be a World Mission, I put together a nice array of photos snitched from the website and a brief write up about the mission for use on the bulletin board. Using my long neglected Sizzix tool for stamping out letters, I was busy doing that, as well, to enhance the presentation for the bulletin board.
*
Justin and I talked on the phone at some length while I was working, him catching me up on all the fun in his life, including feeling good about being back in class again. Sadly he missed out on the one class he really wanted but he is sort of chummy with the professor, her pet, from the sounds of it, so he might get in yet! He said he would take a folding chair to sit in, just to be in the class. Love the enthusiasm!
*
Tomorrow I have a meeting at church for Long-Term planning and then we will getting some things ready for the pot luck function for Mission Festival on Sunday. I am quite excited about the event, hopefully we will have some guests from Christ Lutheran come up and join our worship and meal. Janet is our spit-fire organizer and will see to it that all things are ready for the feast and festival!

2 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

Breakfast was indeed delicious, thank you! My banking business was a bust, because John needed to be with me. On the way home, I saw a car and mentioned to John on the phone about it. I went and got him, and we went back to see it. We didn't like that one, but decided to go buy Gordon Chevrolet just to see what they had. The didn't have anything up front we wanted to pay so much for, but the sales lady drove around back, and there it was! The deal of the year! Found a really nice, older Nissan Altima, in great shape for a good price! We went to pick up Daniel the came back to test drive it. Always fun test driving a car in the rain, with a broken window! It was stuck down! They fixed that and we took the car! Daniel's mad because he said he wanted a "punch buggy".

Hugs, and see you tomorrow!
Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Congratulations on getting the new, or rather, different wheels for work! Glad you dug deeply enough in the stack to find just the right car for your purposes!

I have my leftover half waffle to eat, might have that for lunch...I am backwards or crooked or something!

Punch buggy hugs!

Kim