My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

A day of giving and receiving

Last night I went to bed with some very troubling things on my heart, not personal problems, but related to people about whom I care and with whom I interact. Not meaning to be tauntingly vague, but confidentiality comes into play here. My dear friends, Linda J. and Judy R., both encouraged me to turn it over to the Lord for His handling and that is what I did. I slept well, almost through the night and did not climb out until after 8:30 a.m. My customary can of soda was on the night stand but I moved it to the very far side so I could not absently take a drink if I woke up. Because of blood work this a.m. I had to be NPO until after the blood was drawn.
*
Wisely I had kept the "orders" in the car so I would not have to excavate my desk and headed down Kingsley Avenue to find the lab. NOT! Where the labs used to be, they were no longer! One lady came out of the place where Quest was formerly and said they moved next to Regions Bank on Kingsley Ave. Off we both went in search of it. I did not see the sign for Quest but did see LabCor next to Atlantic Bank so wheeled it in there. In the meanwhile, the little gas light lit up with a clanging bell sounding, totally freaks me out when that happens. It is a 'woman thing', I hear. The same lady was standing there in the lobby. Gloria asked me if I followed her or just ended up here and I said it was an accident. I think this place must get more patients by default than by referral!
*
The lady checking us in asked me if I had anything to eat or drink after midnight and I very sadly told her I had not. I also told her we had better hurry up because my clothes were starting to get baggy! The other receptionist and she just laughed and laughed, saying they never heard that one before! And she called me "Babe" several times, and I hope she did not mean the pig....A nice lady relieved me of several vials of blood to be measured for heaven knows what. In no time I was in and out after having my blood let and wound my way back up Kingsley to the nearest gas station.
*
Across from the hospital is a little "Jiffy" convenience store with gas pumps, rather than a mess of gas pumps with a store besides. The man in front of me was pulling away so I moved into his spot and got out. A lady pulled her van in behind me and I gestured to make sure she had enough room to pull in. She thanked me for pulling ahead and I just smiled as I pumped my gas. Her van was full before my car was, and the lady came up to me, handed me a gift card from BoJangles Chicken. She told me how yesterday she had to drive up and down Blanding Blvd. and no one was nice to her, but I was nice to her today so she gave a gift card as a "thank you"! Wow! Even if I never use the card, the gesture was tremendous.
*
I talked to so many nice people today, even ran into an old friend at Winn Dixie, who "stalked" me as she saw my car drive into the parking lot. Cindy is going to be a grandmother around Christmas Day...how exciting! When I got home from the store and was carrying my bags upstairs, Connie, the maintenance lady for The Palace, gave me a scolding because she had offered to help me with my groceries yesterday. I explained this was a new batch since I had forgotten my yellow potatoes, plus needed eggs for my souffle for dinner tonight. Julia Child would be so proud!!!!

8 comments:

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,

All this talk about souflees( I can't even spell it)has me wondering,,,have you been probed by aliens lately?!?!?

Baffled but never speechless in WI!!

Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda M.:

You are so funny, I just cannot believe it!

Evidently I have been probed by aliens, which might account for the sciatica.....

Also, never speechless,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

Hi!
Remember Sunday's service.. submitting to the Lord! Just as your friends Judy and Linda both said! That's all we can ever do, my friend. Funny, once again.. a time in life when scripture follows exactly when you need it! How could anyone not love the Bible?

That's pretty funny about your clothes getting baggy. Seems like when you're not allowed to eat or drink you want something even more so, doesn't it?

That's awesome about the gift card. What a sweet lady! Bojangles has the best sweet tea, and pintos! Mmmm... they might even have breakfast biscuits, and we know you love breakfast out. :)

So glad you're home, and it was wonderful seeing you last night, my friend!

HUGS!!!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Loved the comment about the clothes getting baggy while you wait. That is a good one! I will add that one to the mental file for later use.
Glad you had a good time in WI.
Talked to my dad the other day. At 87 he has had to give up bowling cause he can't see the dots on the lane any more. Poor guy, his mind is so good and his health is good other than his eyes.
When I call and ask how he is it's always positive and he comments how he is still able to get up and walk everyday. What a blessing.
Happy thoughts!
DeeDee

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Since I was not there Sunday to hear the sermon, I will take your word for it about the submitting to the Lord. This is something we all know but frequently need reminding.

I had quite the day today even though my lunch plans were changed...Getting an unexpected thank you gift was pretty cool, and I will have to check out those biscuits!

It is great to be back, and I really have the greatest friends giving me a boost!

Hugs,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Dee Dee!

I really regret not getting to say "Hi" to your dad, since he is still so on the ball. There were just so people and so little time to catch them all!

Feel free to use my punch lines any time you want, the miles make it safe to do so!

Happy thoughts to you, too! Oh, I saw Mary Janke Wakeman at Perkins Sunday. I asked her to "friend" me so we will see!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Wish that I had someone to do my grocery shopping for me. That is the worse part because I always buy way more than I need. I got our mama some ice cream. She wanted to pay me but I said no. Not only did I have a gift card to use but I get it at a discount. I told her to give the money to church. Oh time to leave for school again. Mornings go fast around here sometimes. Sunny and warm hugs.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Good that you got her ice cream but do you need a gift card at the parlor? Or was this elsewhere?

I do not mind grocery shopping and love that people offer to help me get my stuff upstairs. Dave the doorman used to help me and a couple weeks ago one of the painters offered to help me. Nice!

Sun on my face hugs!

Kim