My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Feeling better but still sick?

How can this be? It is possible to feel better without feeling wonderful, right? In fact, my sleep allowed a decent night's rest so I could go to church this a.m. Bible study was still going on when I finally got there, with good attendance. I was glad to offer my support to Mike C. as he gets his feet wet leading the class for us. Pastor was conducting the parenting class in the other building while Sunday school was going on.
*
Janet had dressed a table with a pretty cover to encourage folks to sit down, as at the Ladies' Group meeting it was brought up that no one sat down Sunday for fellowship like they used to do when the preschool was still there. What? There has to be at least 10 tables with chairs set up in that room now and no one was sitting in them??? Oh, that is just too much! The card tables formerly used for this are used elsewhere now so it is not possible to make it just like it was before. Janet did the next best thing by dressing a table. I did not stick around to see if anyone sat down or not! This is going too far as far as doing things "the way we used to do it"!!
*
After I had gotten dressed this morning, I began to feel weary again so sat in the family room to watch the news before leaving. The Tuesday evening Bible class covers the same study so I knew it was okay to miss part of it. Once I headed to church, Kathy B. called to see if I was on my way or staying home. Nice! When I arrived, I posted my items on the bulletin board, now in the fellowship hall, and got myself stationed in the back of the church to begin the greeting and attendance taking. Much to my delight, our dear member, Kathy R., came to church today after many months of being away. A group from church, her hubby and she included, had gone to eat at Athens Restaurant but sadly, I had to pass due to my illness. That is how you know I am sick, when I refuse dinner invitations! Whether the gang "encouraged" her to come back or if she came on her own, I was just so happy to see her in the flesh, as compared to Facebook only!
*
Kathy B. played the pre-service music which was wonderful, including "When Peace Like a River" which I piped in on, softly. "It is well, it is well...it is well with my soul"....We used the Divine Service II this a.m. and Kathy played the parts not included on the MIDI. All went well, no problems. Like I said to Pastor after church, using these other Orders of Service keeps us on our toes. Sometimes we get so accustomed to doing the service one way and not really absorbing the wonderful message in what we are doing. The joy of liturgical worship and being able to change it up a bit. The message and intent is the same, even if the melodies are different or new.
*
The sermon series is from the book of James and has provided for very timely messages. I had to chuckle right off the bat because before church began, Janet brought me a gold ring which had been left by the sink in the bathroom. She said I could track down the owner, because "you know everybody". Well, I might not know who lost a ring, but I sure can find out! The reading from James starts out talking about not showing favoritism in the church, such as asking the person with the "gold ring and flashy clothes" to sit up front, while the shabbily dressed has to sit on the floor. Here I am, holding a gold ring and wearing a brightly colored blouse!!!! Not in the front, though, which is a relief! Janet asked me about it after church and I assured her I caught the joke. Even Pastor mentioned it as we stood together at the door to greet after church. Glad we can find some humor once in a while! I think I was set up!!!
*
Judy J. asked me to have lunch after church but, believe it or not, I declined. By this time I was bone-tired and ready go lay down at home. Darwin asked me to place service folders in the mailboxes of those absent today, something new we are starting, and I did that quickly before heading for home. Momentarily I toyed with stopping to get a burger or something to have for lunch, but I still was not feeling much like eating anything of substance. Once home I did reheat some leftovers, as I promised Joanne I would eat real food, but could not eat all my food from Koko's. Right now some pork chops are defrosting on my counter and I might, just might, make those for supper. Later, much later!!!
*
Earlier I knew I felt hot inside but still had the afghan Lynn made for Timmy wrapped around my legs and feet to keep me warm. The air temp in the house is around 82 above zero (I have since opened the doors to let a breeze through!) so I should not be chilled. After a great deal of digging around, taking a trip down memory lane, I finally located our thermometer. It has been years since it was used, last time for Justin, I am sure. After shaking it down, I stuck it in mouth and walked around while the temp climbed. I was correct---although very hard to read, the temp showed nearly 100 again, as it was yesterday. My eyes and mouth are hot but my extremities cold.
*
More water, more juice, more soda (Mom asked me yesterday if the doctor mentioned my soda drinking in relation to the infection....he did not) and cool foods are the modus operandi for me so if the chops get made remains to be seen. My spirit is saddened by the game losses of both the pro football teams I support, the Packers and the Jags. I tried to listen to the Jag game on the radio but had a hard time following along, probably because I was so tired already. One thing about the cranberry juice---it makes my teeth feel furry!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

Hopefully another good nights sleep and you will be on the mend. I still feel tired too from the last weeks events with dad. I took a long Sunday nap and am ready for bed again!
We had a pastor preach as a possible candidate to be called as our new pastor. We will see what God has planned for our congregation. We have not had a pastor for about 10 months now.
There is always change in the wind isn't there!
Hoping for a quick recovery for you. You remain in my thought s and prayers.

Diane

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Dee Dee,

I hope I do have a good night's sleep although I am staying up later than I expected....

Tiredness can come in so many different ways, can it not? I am tired as can be right now but not the least bit sleepy!

Best wishes on filling your vacancy, there is nothing like a good shepherd to take care of his members! How have you been getting along without one?

Thanks for the prayers,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim!
I hope you feel better soon. Try mixing the cranberry juice with water. It might make your teeth feel less fuzzy and not upset your tummy. And soda is not good to drink when you have a kidney infection! {waving to Kims Mom)
Lots of rest helps your body heal too. Just listen to what your body is telling you and you'll be fine. Ignore the craving for soda, thought! :D
Cindy the retired Nurse

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Cindy!

You are a stinker, saying to avoid the soda with this infection. I read through all the paperwork sent home with me and nowhere does it say not to have soft drinks. The juice does not bother my tummy which is good news.

Thanks for the good wishes about feeling better. Joanne told me not to worry about the warning about the not being in the sun or indirect light because I am already so tanned, I won't burn anymore. Good! I can rest outside then!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Of course you are tired, my sister. Your body is fighting an infection. I agree that you should avoid the soda. I know it would be hard for me to give it up too, but your health is important. Enough of the lecture. Have a better today and talk to you soon. Gloomy gray skies right now.

Hugs!

Jill

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim:

I read your blogs kind of late 'cause we had a busy day....Lynn took her car in for a check-up so I picked her up....actually, we met at 4 Season's, to have breakfast.

Then, we went grocery shopping, went to the library, to C.C. for ice cream, then to Kohl's and then Lynn will have to go and get Daniel.

We have a church meeting to-night. Sure hope you get rid of that infection. You worry me, especially when you turn down dinner invites! That's not normal.

I think Cindy and I are right..the Drs. don't know how much of that "belly wash"you drink. That is what your Grandma Lahaie used to call it.

Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Thank you for your concern over my health, which is close to being returned, by the way. The doctor said to expect it to take up to three days for the medications to kick in so I am right on track. No fever today and I have resumed normal activities.

I hope you get some sunshine soon!

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom!

I wish I was a coffee fan instead of Diet Coke because then no one would say anything to me about my having coffee.....In fact, drinking coffee is the rage!

Today I went to Bible study, out of lunch, visited the classrooms, and had a meeting with Pastor. My back does not hurt today and I might be tired, but that is because I stayed up late watching the Emmy's and such. No fever feeling today...

Tomorrow is dinner and Bible study plus whatever else comes along, business as usual.

Sounds like your day was equally full. Have a good time at the meeting, although I doubt it will be a fun one...this is when you get the results of the Parish Assistance Teams work, right?

I will await to hear the report....

Hugs,

Kim