My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I am singing a little "Creedence" this morning!

When I got up at one point this very early morning, the sunrise was absolutely spectacular, so much so that I decided not to grab the camera to capture it. Add another regret to my list....But my initial thought was, "What a lovely sunrise on Lynn's birthday!" Happy birthday to my sister, Lynn! I am wondering what tasty morsel she baked for her treat today....Gone are the days of Tootsie Roll Suckers as the birthday treat!
*
When I did finally get up, the sky was cloudy and grey, the green algae moved in along the shore. Nothing like some good wave action to keep it flowing away from here, like we had on Saturday. But today is quite calm so it hangs like oil on a puddle outside our building. When the water is still as it is right now, the mullet entertain with their leaps from the river into the air in search of insects. If they would just move further out, the fishermen would treat them to a nice juicy worm!

Here is a shot taken this a.m. of the "Green River" outside my doors
*
My neigbhors are out on the patio riverside this morning, as I guessed before opening my doors. They have surround-sound in the house and patio areas which plays Jimmy Buffett music or similar tunes for their listening and dancing pleasure. More like coffee and cigarette pleasure at this time of the day. Being so very still outside today, the smoke wafts up this way and I am glad to be able to pull the doors closed once more.
*
Such a full day Monday was! Besides waking up tired after staying up late for the Packer game (Whoo! What a game!!!!) I had little time before having to leave for Bible study. There were several things I had to take care of prior to class including posting the revised Prayer Chain and stuffing the mailboxes with the updated versions for those on the Chain. We are meeting in the Fellowship Hall again, which is ideal now that Pastor won't have to put up tables and grab chairs first thing on Monday morning. All is ready to go! Gretchen was accustomed to sitting on the soft front pew with the table in front of her and last time we met she mentioned wishing she had a cushion to use on the metal chairs. When I got my Bible and folder out of the car, I grabbed my beach towel for her to sit on and she appreciated having the cushion against the chair.
*
Our study in Psalms continues and it was enjoyable to look at all the ways in which the Lord showed mercy to His people and continues to do so. Mercy is a word not used enough outside of church circles, it seems to me, but it can certainly be practiced without mention at all times. Psalm 2:12 tells us: Blessed are all who take refuge in him. But we always want to fix things ourselves before turning to the Lord with our problems.
*
Oddly enough, we went to lunch at Longhorn after Bible study, with nine of us total. Patti, our waitress, was in rare form, giving me a particularly difficult time of it. Never say you do not want the onion straws and change your order to "lettuce salad"!! Just say "salad" and be done with it....yikes! Little did I know there was such a big difference...She was just having fun with us but the rest were very careful with their phrasing of their orders! The ultimate customer service is knowing ahead of time what we are going to order to drink, and have it already on the tray when we are seated! She is that good!
*
Originally my plans were to come home and jump in the pool because it seems my knees were complaining about the lack of work out, but the rest of me resisted. I ended up at the computer for a bit and then took care of some paper handling before my rest. I always rest midday and especially when I know I have a meeting that night. Just as I began snacking on my cheese corn, Twila called to see if I wanted to have dinner before the meeting. Heck, yeah! I put away the snack and geared myself for another visit to the China Buffet! Twice in two days and we go months without eating there! But, wait, it gets better-----after Ladies' Group last night, where we had a very long meeting, a bunch of us went back to Longhorn to have a drink! Twice to Longhorn in the same day! Friday night another bunch of us are going out to dinner again, just cannot get enough of the church family these days!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kim
Thanks for all your birthday greetings. I brought in fresh Bagels from Big Apple (and left all my cream cheeses at home)for breakfast and for dessert after lunch Pumpkin Pie Bars with extra creaming Cool Whip. I can hardly wait till lunch!
Lynn

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Lynn!

You are welcome! I have to acknowledge your birthday from afar this year. The bars sound lovely and the extra creamy topping will be yum!

Mom asked me if I remembered it was your birthday and I told her I'd sent you greetings as well as several other peoples.

Enjoy giving your birthday pedicure to Mom tonight!

Hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

What Tootsie rolls are not acceptable as a treat anymore? Just kidding. I wish I could take treats like to work but the employees are such pigs that it doesn't pay to take something like that. it's as if they have had never eaten before that day. Now that Doris and Joe moved I no longer have to put with the cigarette smell coming in my window. After the end of the year I will not have to smell it at work either. I suppose I should go and do something before I go to work. Chilly out today but feels nice to me. Have a great day.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill:

I wonder what kids take for birthday treats these days....or do they not treat any longer?

There are now 5 boats sitting directly out from my windows, no other boats up or down the river. My area must be the hot-spot for fishing!

Sorry to hear your co-workers are so unpleasant. What a great place for you to set the good example! Your work is cut out for you.....

Smokeless hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Dan would take baked goods yet at school. At Jefferson and FG. Some parents come to work and buy sundae cups for a treat. My co workers just don't stop and think of the next person. Not everyone comes in a the same time or they do not all go on break together either. You should see it at our holiday potluck. It's like sharks smelling blood in the water. Must go and finish up my dishes and then relaxing.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

Cupcakes sound good for a birthday treat! The ice cream cups sound like a really good idea, too.

I love the visual of your holiday buffets at work...I can imagine how it would be with scattered stop and start times----chaos!

Relaxing hugs,

Kim