My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just because I took a day off

"I have words left over", as Justin would say. I forgot to mention how yesterday I had the opportunity to spend some more money, but not nearly nearly as much as I could have. So, does that mean I saved money?
*
In the spring I had gotten a booklet from the Jacksonville Symphony where I have not renewed my season tickets. The booklet showed the ticket prices for the upcoming "Carmina Burana" event to be around $450+ each and I very sadly told Justin there would be no concert for us. Yesterday I got an e-mail from the JSO promoting another concert and thought I would take a look at the schedule, etc. to see what was happening during the time Linda J. is here. Sure enough, there was "Carmina..." I clicked through the page to see what price they were. Long story short, I was able to get three tickets for less than half of what one ticket would have run. I must dig up that booklet to see what that was all about, breaking our hearts like that!!! But, now, we are healed! I sent Justin an e-mail with only a link to "O Fortuna" for him to click. He sent me a message late last night saying he had just gotten home and read the e-mail. His message, non-paraphrased, was: "Oh, thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!" He knew exactly what that meant, which is what I love about my boy. You are most welcome, my dear!
*
He has since contacted me again today to ask about getting the new book by Glenn Beck, "Arguing With Idiots" as a shared book. He wants to trade me for one he has that I wish to read. Of course I agreed! Think I might even head to the bookstore yet this afternoon, or perhaps before choir tonight. The previous Beck book is lying on my dresser and I will give him that book, too, as I am about done with it. My messy bed and desk are starting to get to me which means I must be feeling better....The entire passenger-side of my bed is piled with books, magazines, catalogs, mail, and church materials. My spirit was willing (to deal with this stuff) but my flesh was weak. I chose sleep over sorting!
*
Some of the dusting got done yesterday and I might do a bit more today after Justin is done vacuuming. One act would defeat the other. Joanne was telling me about her incredibly high electric bills at the beach, not on JEA like most of Jacksonville is, but a re-seller power company. She told me she sets and keeps her thermostat on 75 (ugh!!!!), has no TV to watch but is home so little that it does not matter. In my opinion, then, set the thermostat higher and it won't run. My suggestion to her was ask the owners if she could have an A/C man come and run some tests on it because she said it just runs and runs. I hope they say she can, or even if she hires them herself, just to see if there is a problem with the machinery. One of the first floor Owners here told me yesterday that his electric bill is usually around $300 a month, with now four people living in his house. He not long ago married a woman with two sons and I can only imagine the number of electrical devices they have making the dial spin on HIS electric meter! This is the man who plays the Jimmy Buffett music so loudly outside.
*
Oh, I just knew it! The heavens have opened and giant drops are falling into the river, none on my windows thus far. Well, I guess if the rain continues, a nap will be in order to rest my eyes. Much reading has gone on here this a.m. which usually makes my eyes tired. My sleep was good last night so this cannot be the problem. I dreamed about CHRISTmas and the coming celebrations, even my niece, Tina and her family were here.....HEY! What a great idea!!!!

No comments: