My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Brrrr.....it is cold here!

I could hear the building creaking, I think, when I went to bed last night. Something was making noise and when I turned the sound down on the TV, the noise was not audible. Finally I just chalked it up to the wind and groaning of the building cooling down from 84 degrees during the day, to 50 degrees overnight. Wow, that is dramatic by any one's standards!
*
I woke up before the sun so I watched some "Roseanne" re-runs waiting for Fox and Friends. It seems I am catching up to where I watched a few months ago when Dan and Roseanne were having problems in their marriage, this time his mom going into the mental hospital. My sister told me the show had really changed over the years but this was the first time I saw Dan sobbing. Wow, I was so moved by it that I joined right in! He had come to the realization that all these years his now divorced father had covered for his mother so that Dan would not know about his mom's "problems". This made the Dad look like a jerk to Dan, until he found out the truth about the situation. Much of the discussion was how mental illness is no one's fault. Good point.
*
Me thinks I am getting a cold! There has been some sneezing and my throat feels a little hairy. Maybe I should do what Suzanne did once and take an Airborne without first dissolving it in water----something made me think about that this early morning and I woke up laughing! It just never gets old, you know? She has been having a terrible time with hives, joint pain, assorted ailments from the medication she is taking. The question arose that perhaps the used car she bought to use for work might be part of the problem, an allergic reaction to something in the car. I gave her the name of my friend who does mold remediation so hopefully he can help her narrow the problem. The steriod she has to take is causing problems with her wrists and other joints, terrible with the side effects. Poor Suzanne!
*
This afternoon I might wander down to Palm Coast to deliver Tina's poppyseed doughnuts to her and see the kids. Yesterday I worked on the church newsletter, getting as much filled in as I could. At the end of the month I will be busy with Joanne's mailing project, so must make hay even when the sun did not shine! In defense of the sun, it did pop out later in the day but not soon enough to warm me at the desk. The other afternoon, the computer guy came by with the repair disc for the other laptop and he got it started up, repairs made, good to go once more. That was Thursday---Friday I went to look at it, still sitting on the table where I left it, and the screen was showing its troubled face yet again. So, I guess that is it for that laptop. To replace the mother board would be $400, more than I paid for this replacement. Now, what do I do with the old one?
*
Oh, the reason I mentioned watching "Roseanne" was while watching, I saw a commercial for Kohls, having a big sale this weekend. Justin loves shopping there now that he has lost weight and I like their home decor department. I do not really need anything (cannot believe I just said that!) but might take a ride over there to check it out. They showed the shoes on sale and my mind said, "51 degrees outside? Might be time to start wearing regular shoes again." My little plaid canvas shoes are not really winter styled...wonder if Wal*Mart has this style in a fall pattern....It must also be time to switch to long pants instead of capris full-time.
*
Late afternoon I got a message from a friend at Victory inviting me to a spaghetti dinner but it was really too late for me to get there in time. Nuts! That would have been so delicious and fun, too. Next week we are invited to join Victory for a craft night where we are making pink bracelets for breast cancer awareness. We pay for the bead supplies and such, with a donation of $5 to the research. Plus wonderful fellowship opportunities!! In my small circle of friends, I have three experiencing breast cancer, including Judy R. who has been declared "cancer-free". Sadly, she just let me know that her niece who lives her in Jax has been diagnosed with the dreaded disease. My pastor's wife also has breast cancer and is undergoing treatment at present. Pastor Hoyer mentioned the other day that no other cancer seems to get as much attention as this one, and I told him it is because women are in charge of it!
*
Lori, my sister in Holmen, called last night to invite me along on a bus trip with the church ladies. We will go to the Twin Cities to see "Mamma Mia" and stay in the lovely hotel and go shopping, like we did last year. I know there will not be filthy language in this show as last year Lynn and I were appalled by "Jersey Boys". We had no clue, not until we were handing over our tickets at the door where a sign was posted cautioning about language and (gasp!), cigarette smoking on stage. I hope Lynn goes, that was so fun! And I will get to see Judy R. again, too!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Walmart stopped selling shoes. I too watched Roseanne. I believe this episode was before they won the lottery. MLHS just raised and donated money for breast cancer. They even got mentioned in the paper a couple of times about it. They received an orchid from the Onions and Orchids page. My Dan even bought a bracelet. I must be off to work. I am cleaning a freezer and then working till 2. Cool hugs today!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Chilly Jilly!

Our store on Fleming Island still carries shoes, and I hope they do not stop doing so. My needs are simple but my feet are big!

Did you see the episode this a.m. where Dan cried? Wow, that was something else...and we have been there ourselves, wondering what to do.

Congratulations on being in the newspaper. Was your bracelet a pink beaded one? Wonder if it is the same as the ones we are doing at Victory...

Enjoy your time in the freezer, as I will mine when I venture out!

Hugs,

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

I like the idea of the beaded bracelets. Sounds fun...
I have another friend, besides our Lynn, who is also going through radiation, not to mention the friend I found out about last year from high school who did not survive the battle. Such a terrible disease.. we must ban together. I got a nice "Think Pink" t-shirt yesterday from the station, since they were sponsoring the race this am downtown. Such a great cause!

So funny about the airborne. I'll never live it down, but not ashamed of it either. It's just funny. I was in a rush, and didn't think it was a tablet to be added to water.. don't EAT it! LOL! Maybe that will help me now?? Today's a pretty good day.. I haven't had a breakout of the major itchy hives.. just suffering the aches and pains and fatigue that the prednisone is causing that the docs say shouldn't be occurring. Wish they would tell my body that! No matter what the outcome, today is a good day, and I praise God for that!

Love to you my friend, and I will see you tomorrow in church.
Suzanne

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Nope, do not even try to live it down---live it up instead!!! One the best stories I have ever heard!

Has avoiding the car made the difference in your hives and aches? It would be nice if you could narrow the cause.

Do you want to go make a bracelet next week? We have to let Rachel know tomorrow....

Wear your shirt proudly, in honor of our friends, those still in the battle, those who may face it, and those who have succombed....

Love 'n laughing hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Many prayers to your friends who are going thru this. In February 2009 I was told by my Doc that I had to go for an exam...I hadn't had one in 15 years...(I had a full hysterectomy when I was 24)and even though I knew he was right, I fought it. When I arrived, I was a little hesitant but knew he was right, even though I didn't want him to think that...(he is a great Doc and we get along very well)...

I got a call back the next day...they needed to reshoot pics. Again, here I was quite nervous this time and all sorts of things going thru my head and how I was going to handle it if I did have Breast Cancer.

I was lucky...My exam came back perfect..even after 15 years from my last exam! I have promised myself that it is a priority and I'll be back in 2010.

Have fun in the bead class..it's worth it and the proceeds go to a very good cause!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Anon.:

Glad you finally decided to go and get your important check up. And offer prayers of thanksgiving that you got the "all clear".

I look forward to the fellowship opportunity at the craft night and yes, the proceeds support a worthy cause!

Kim

Anonymous said...

oh.... great!! I guess I didn't know you would be heading up again... lets see...that would be .... when???

and go for craft night at Victory!! That would be one I would cheer for as well.

I got a call from a breast cancer fundraiser whom I had not heard about before... I asked what percentage went for administration, and when they said 80%... I quickly, said NO THANKS... can you believe it??? 80%!!! I was appalled!

talk with you soon... the asian beetles have come out of their yucky shells.... such pests!!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Anon.: (whom I think might be Judy R.!)

Yes, you have been warned! I am coming back to WI for a longer stay this time than last. We will be in Holmen for the celebration so I am going to sneak away for a few hours to cross the bridge to Winona......

Best wishes the attack of the Asian beetles.....my sister has a mouse!

Yikes!!

Kimmie