My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Grief in a different point of view

As most of my readers know, I am not an animal nut. While I miss having my cat around sometimes, I do not miss the hassle of cleaning or maintaining the litter box, buying the cat food, or the dust bunnies of lost hair she left behind. Even yet, when the door in the kitchen opens, I turn to watch her make her legs one inch long and scoot under the bed to hide from Justin, her tormentor. But Lynx is no more and that is that. And there is absolutely no need to replace her! I am animal-free and love it this way. Here is my disclaimer: I am not without heart, and realize some people really really love their pets.
*
Yesterday I went to get my hairs cut, as I usually do on the full moon. Normally the TV hung on the wall is blaring with some insipid daytime TV program---did you guys know that "The Price is Right" is still on TV? I was so surprised to see the new host. Guess that college-aged people are huge fans of this program. Well, anyway, it was pretty subdued but I did not realize at first, thinking they must have been too busy to turn it on. When it was my turn to sit in the chair, Barb got me settled in with the cape and began to groom me. On her counter was a beautiful plant, a greeting card with her name and her husbands' on the envelope, and bag of Dove heart-shaped chocolates. I asked Barb if it was her anniversary or something, to which she replied, "No, we lost our pug this weekend." How does one answer that? What in the world is a pug?
*
Of course, her dog! She even has a framed photo of the dog on her work center. Her husband, a retired man, was walking the dog on Friday morning through their neighborhood, when the man down the street backed out of his driveway too fast and without looking, nearly hitting her hubby but did get the dog. She said he grabbed the dog up in his arms and was screaming as he ran back home with her in his arms. Barb got out of bed and without changing from her pj's, they took the dog to the vet. The vet could not help so they had to go to the ER for pets on Wells Road. She had to call in to tell the boss she was not coming in on Friday and told me she does not even remember what she told Susan.
*
By Saturday morning, the decision had to be made to have the dog put out of its misery, having a broken back was not something that could be fixed. So, their beloved pet was gone. She told me that the pug went everywhere with her hubby, they did walks together, he took the dog for a ride in the car so she could let her ears blow in the breeze, all that fun stuff. She said he is just despondent and one of their close neighbors took the day off on Tuesday so he could stay with her hubby to keep him company. Her hubby does not know the reason his friend stayed home from work, only that he wanted someone to run errands with him. About three times Barb said "It was just a terrible weekend..." Wow!
*
I resisted the temptation to ask if they would get a new dog because it is too soon to even consider this, although it is natural to fill the void as quickly as possible. She told me it was like losing a child, and then put her hand on my shoulder, and said, "Sorry..." She knew better than that, but I guess it helped me to see her sorrow, to a point. At least next week they will get a break somewhat as they are going to Miami to babysit their grandson while their daughter takes a much needed vacation. Their grandson has a sensory disorder, along the lines of autism, so they have their work cut out for them. She says he usually behaves better for them than he does for his parents, which I think is significant. How much is behavioral and how much is disorder?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
As you know, I am a pet lover! I can remember when we had to put Truman down. The vet sent us flowers and several friends sent cards! I was surprised by this, but it was very thoughtful. We were very attached to that cat!! I hate to think of the day when we have to say good bye to Tucker and Trudy!! You know how much we love them!!

just a crazy cat lady
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.:

Yes, I have no doubt you feel the same way about the cats as she does about her dog. Which would she miss more if the hubby and the dog were killed---just thinking about that....perspective, I guess.

I remember you telling me about the outpouring of sympathy after your cat died and I know how greatly affected Tommy would be without his pets. He is a crazy cat man! Who else sets up the tripod to record his cats???

Less than a month now.....

Kim

Suzanne Chappell said...

That's so sad. It made me cry for her! You know I would just be heart broken if something happened to any one of my animals as well!

Hugs to you and your friend,
Suzanne

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,

OK, whats the deal with the full moon and your hair???

About 2 years ago, my cousins daughter was getting married and my cousin's wife wanted the grandmother to get a perm before the wedding. She said she couldn't because of the full moon!??!?!

My first chihuahua, Nuisance, died on Feb 9, 1998.Her picture is next to my computer, as are the pictures of my 3 current chihuahuas.They don't call me nuts for nothing!!!

Surrounded by Dogs in WI,
Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Suzanne!

Oh, it was so sad to hear her tell the story and I am sure she told the story more than once that day. Doubt it got easier for her either.

At least she can look forward to seeing her grandson who is as cute as can be!

Hugs to you too!

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda M.:

About the full moon haircuts: one time I was in the booty shop and the two cutters were talking about the superstition of hair grows faster if it is cut on the full moon. Since it was full moon, they wanted me to come back exactly a month later to see if it was true. Ever since then I am on the full moon rotation, so to speak!

And, to answer the question, nope! No difference as to how fast it grows.


You had told me about the death of your dog in the past, and I know how much you love your present onces...crazy dog lady!!! You are good match for the other Linda, who is a crazy cat lady!

Growing my hair in Orange Park,

Kim

Darla said...

When my mom retired from the Bank, she took on a part time job at the Animal Haven and loved it. She took a black lab home with her one weekend and he stayed...Mother and Daddy loved that dog.

Their neighbors kids fed the dog antifreeze and of course the dog died. The kids heard that it harmed animals and wanted to try it out.

My mom and dad did get another Lab, but it's still not the same.

I wouldn't make a good animal owner...so I don't have them, but I feel for people who have lost their pets...

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Darla,

Such a sad story about your parents dog! Cruel kids, I dare say!

Just like you can never replace a lost child, I am sure you could never replace an animal. You might have more children or get more pets, but they never take the place of the lost one.

Have a wonderful day,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I dread the day anything happens to one of our cats. Dan is so attached to them especially Teddy. They do have the tendency to become family. I got to get hings ready now for our trip. I am going to try and work it out so mom can have her car.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

Don't change your plans for Mom to have her car...she will be just fine getting to the store when Lynn gets home from work. Saturday she will be with Lynn and Sunday, too, so no worries!

I will feel badly for you when your cats expire and I think you might want to brace him in such a way that he knows this might happen. Talk about how you will bury the cat, what kind of box or container, place in the yard, etc. I had Lynx cremated and they disposed of the ashes so I didn't have to worry about a thing. I pays to be braced!

Hugs and safe driving,

Kim

(heat index of 101 here today.....)