My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I found a couple more pictures......

This photo was taken when Lynn and Lisa lived on Eighth Street. Lisa is perched on the wooden spoil and is posing with my niece, Tina, whom I also babysat at times. Tina is the daughter of Marian, my former spouse's sister. Both of these little girls are now mamas themselves. Lisa has two sons, Gabe and Manny, while Tina has two daughters, Maya and Rayna. Tina just celebrated her 40th birthday but Justin and I were in WI and had to miss her surprise party. I have her present in my freezer however; a couple dozen poppyseed-filled doughnuts, something from Manitowoc for which she longs! Perhaps next Saturday I will run down to Palm Coast to deliver them and take Maya a birthday present, too, as she turned 3 in August.

On Lisa's birthday I wrote about her sitting at the old clunky type writer in our office, honing her clerical skills for what was to become her future employment in an accounting firm. The desk next to her was our first piece of furniture purchased from my bro-in-law's sister, Nancy, in Milwaukee, when she decided to sell everything she owned and buy gold! This was in 1974 and does that not sound familiar? The cycle is repeating. But anyway, we paid $5.00 for this desk and it served us well for at least 20 years or more. Even used to hold Mom's sewing machine when she came to winter with us. I am not sure what became of it though. Hmmm.....The typewriter may have come from her, too, now that I think of it because I doubt we would have gone in search of a relic, after having been trained on IBM Selectrics in high school. Anyway, this was fun to find the picture of Lisa using the typewriter all those many years ago!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim, That brought back thoughts of typing class at MLHS. Miss Liese,
put your feet flat on the floor, don't look at the keys. Oh my...I still can type pretty well, so I guess I learned from those classes.
Have a great day and enjoy your new employment. It's nice to work from home.

DeeDee

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Dee Dee!

Not long ago I had a conversation with someone about those "old days" of typing classes. First we had the eraser with the brush on the end, then the correction tape, and then the self-correcting. Of course, if we were any kind of decent typist, no corrections would be necessary!!

Oh, yes, I do not mind sitting around addressing envelopes. I can do that while watching TV or resting. My poor friend is so swamped, it is the least I can do. Maybe she will take me dinner or something.....

Happy days,

Kim

Darla said...

That typewriter is too cool...I didn't get along with the clunkers...However, my mom still has her old one in the attic!

Glad you ran into so many friends today! Don't you just love it when you can sit for hours and talk about the past?

I hope you like your new laptop! I want to get another one, but not quite sure what to get yet. Maybe I'll run over to look at them..I know they were having sales over the weekend...

My laptop is fine for now, but it's getting up in age...Let me know what you think after a couple of days...

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Darla!

Wouldn't you know it? The computer guy called this afternoon to report he is coming by tomorrow with the repair disk!!!!

I have seen people use those old typewriters for decoration in their homes so you might want to visit that attic!

The size and the price are right on the new laptop from Office Max, check it out...

Kim