My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I just cannot do it!

I cannot and will not watch "Elf"! My tolerance for 'holiday' programs on TV is already low but to watch the weirdo Ferrell would be too over the top. A couple of us on Facebook discussed this movie and it seems I am unique in my sentiment about it. Oh well, the rest of you, enjoy!
*
Speaking of enjoying, I did just that tonight as the preschool and kindergarten's students at church told the assembly the true reason for celebrating CHRISTmas. Earlier today I met Judy C. over there and together we set up the Fellowship Hall for the reception which would follow the program. I took my tablecloth and centerpiece, candy dishes, candy, as much as I could load in my wash basket, over this a.m. and the rest of it this evening. We dressed the tables with red or green plastic covers and the refreshment table with my tablecloth. It looked quite festive if I do say so myself! Mike C. and Carol stayed afterwards to help us get things put away and cleaned up, the whole evening over by 8:00 pm. Not bad, and an excellent turn-out for the program and reception!
*
Obviously, the table toting and chair hauling, days which I thought were behind me, wore me out so I am now resting. A notice had come Monday to remind us the elevator would be down, so to speak, for an hour today so I planned to stay out after finishing at church. Kohl's is having a big sale so that is where I went to finish my shopping before heading to Great Hang Ups. When I came in, Julia announced they were getting worried about me since I had not been around in over a week. We had a wonderful chat even with a few clients coming and going, which is great to see.
*
After leaving Hang Ups I headed for home and worked on a few things for the function tonight, some posters and notices about our special services coming in the next few weeks. And then, I rested! When it was time to head back over to church again, I carried my large wash basket which was loaded to the top with the goody bags, balancing my home-baked cookies on top of that and headed to the car. In the lobby I met my neighbor who declared, "Every time I see you, you are hauling something!" Yes, it is true---or so it seems, anyway.
*
When we came out of the program, we realized it had rained. This made it that much more steamy outside, adding to the already muggy air which today topped 82 degrees. Tomorrow it is expected to drop down 20 degrees and more rain is coming our way. Oh nice! The Jaguar game is being broadcast locally on Thursday night, the first time this season the Jags will not be blacked out. YIPPEE! Joanne is coming over to watch the game with me, at least the first part of it. I am looking forward to seeing her again since I have not since getting home from WI. I am thinking of getting one of the "Father Murphy" pizzas, new in Orange Park. We had a couple of those when at Lori's, only the official name is Papa Murphy's. I accidentally called it Father Murphy and now I cannot say it correctly. It's a Little House on the Prairie thing!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

God morning,
I'm with you about the "Elf" movie. I can't watch that guy either!!! I was hauling things to church yesterday too! we had our Evening Circle Christmas party last night. We had a good time, played a few games and exchanged ornaments. then revealed our secret pal's with a gift exchange.

I just checked the weather channel, we should get up to 30 degrees above zero tomorrow. That must be the global warming they are talking about!?

Have a blessed day,
Love and icy hugs,
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

God morning, Linda J.!!!

Glad to hear the global warming is heading to Manty!

It seems we are ever hauling something either to church or home afterwards. Sometimes needing the wash basket or sometimes only filling hands or arms, or purses!

Guess what I am doing? Making a grocery list for when the company is here! And checking it twice....

No sun yet hugs,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I just commented to Dan last night that the movie ELF is always on. There are plenty of other movies they could show or they could run some JAG shows. Time for my morning shower and them getting ready for the rest of the day. Must bundle up since it is going to be quite chilly!
Wind chill hugs!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

It seems the networks want to have something to show during this season and Elf is certainly NOT religious, so..........

As Lisa said that time at "Billy Jack"----"Lemme see blood!"

I hope you get warm today...Lynn was wearing gloves as she typed yesterday at work, using tea to warm her hands and nose!

Snuggly hugs,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi again,
It is snuggie weather today!! My computer says it is 3 degrees above zero! brrrrrr!

The girls are coming this Friday to stay till the Sunday after Christmas!!! We will have some fun!!

snuggie hugs
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi again!

I can just picture the three of you under your snuggie, watching Shirley Temple movies during a snowstorm!

Snugglie hugs,

Kim

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,
I saw Elf once,not sure I was able to keep awake.Wouldn't make a point to watch it again.

One year I think A Christmas Carol was on 3-4 times, last year I don't think I saw it at all.

Once I caught part of a Christmas movie on PBS, I have never seen it since.Not sure of the name.Its something like "All I have I give"
It was made in 1957 I think. Its set maybe at the turn of the last century.A mother dies and her oldest son promises to find homes for his 4-5 younger sisters and brothers by CHristmas.So he goes around to all the neighbors etc to find suitable homes for his family. On Christmas EVE he takes then all walking through the snow and one by one, takes them each to their new home.He goes to the last house with the littlest child and gives it to the new family.They close the door and he walks away.He found homes for them all but none for himself. He is walking away in the show when the door opens and they ask him to come back and live with them too.
Does this sound familar to anyone??I would love to know the name of this movie.

Wondering in WI,
Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Linda M.:

I do not know the movie you mentioned but I sure do want to! It sounds like a real tear-jerker to me....Mom watches holiday-themed movies on the Hallmark network and I think Lifetime also has those type of shows. My sister, Lynn, really likes the one with the kid and the bb gun, can't think of the name of it.

I enjoyed your photos, by the way, very nice and vintage!

Hugs,

Kim

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,

Would appreciate any help on coming up with the name of this movie. I think it would most likely be found on Turner Classics or something like that. Maybe I will try to Google it somehow.

On a Mission in WI
Linda M.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda M.:

I will do my best...maybe the other readers will recognize and come up with the name...

Help us out here everyone!

Hugs,

Kim

Linda M said...

Dear Kim,

Just wanted to let your readers know there was a happy ending to this story(at least for me!!!)
Kim somehow found the exact name to the movie and then I was able to find it on Amazon.Its on it way for Christmas viewing.

Waiting by my Mailbox(that the county thrashed) in WI,

Linda M

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda M. and all:

Just another service I offer.....

So glad I could help you out with the movie! I hope it brings you the same joy it did all those years ago!

Standing at my mailbox, too!

Kim