My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One more thing......

Justin and I were discussing things the other day, after Suzanne and I failed to come up with the answer. Attribute it to age or having had too much happen since then, but neither she nor I could come up with what started the crash in 2008. I knew Justin had the answer since he is a student of this and has a fresher memory. The long and short was consumer confidence wavering (ah, yes, I remember now.....) prior to the elections, and the dominoes started to fall. He told me about people we know in common who wisely cashed in their investments the day of, or the day prior to, the lowest closing of the markets in a decade. Yikes!
*
As we talked, I reminded Justin how glad I was for not cashing out back in 2006 after he graduated from high school. My thought was to cash out, move to Greece, and live happily ever after, rather than face being an empty-nester. Well, none of that came to be, since he was accepted to UNF, a local college and was not going off to some far corner of the USA for school. And he lived at home with his mama at first, too, where I became his college roommate! Fast forward to the present, where Justin is now living in student suites and I am here, not in Greece, which is bankrupt!
*
Justin at first said, "That would not really affect you...." but trailed off, realizing just how miserable life would be without government services. No ports, no electricity (if it's publicly run), devalued currency, no services, no police or fire protection, no airports....I need the airport so that my downstairs neighbor, Jeff, who flies for FedEx, could bring me my summer sausage every couple weeks! What else would I eat???? When Twila and I were talking about it yesterday at lunch, she said, "You would have had to learn to fish and eat it raw!". Yech! Thank you, Lord, for guiding me properly in this decision-making!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,

I'm glad you didn't go to Greece or we would never see you anymore. You can handle an empty nest just fine, just look at you!

Bye!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Anon.:

Greece still lures me but I had better wait until their economy comes around, and mine as well, before making plans for an extended stay there.

I am doing fine because it seems having an empty nest with frequent visitors suits me! And I get to spend special time with my Justin every week!

Kim