My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Photos from the Tax Day Rally (click on photos to enlarge)

Here is my version of patriotic attire: blue jeans, red tie-dyed top, and white sneakers, and my flag! It was good to have long sleeves because after the sun went down, it got quite nippy along the river last night. My legs and hips were quite tired but a good tired, standing up for America!

Here is a crowd shot, in the center of which is the honor guard, wearing attire similar to that worn for the first Revolution, followed by a woman dressed as Lady Liberty. On the stage was a group of singers who performed patriotic songs, including one written by a man who had long been associated with communist groups. I found that amusing, figuring the organizers/musicians were not aware of the irony.

A new take on an old flag, listing the items needing the attention of the elected officials, those now in office as well as those who are going to be voted into office in November. The chant was "in November, we remember!" I am not a good chanter, left that to the others. Just like clapping in church, just can't get into it....no mantras for me.

The man in the center of this photo, holding a glass of soda (I'm sure....) is George from Victory. I saw a few other folks from Victory including a man who is in the printing business who was handing out bumper stickers, and a couple who are snow birds between Jacksonville and their cottage 'up north' in WI.
See how closely packed the folks were in the middle of this venue? The organizers had to encourage those already there to move toward the middle (this crowd wants nothing to do with the 'middle'!) to allow those arriving a place to stand. We saw two helicopters go over which we can assume were counting heads, so to speak, and I heard on the radio that our number was 'several thousand'.

My friend and driver, Peggy, and her husband, John, at the Tax Rally. They are going up to Washington for some other type of event in May, and their son is participating in an event in Washington, geared for young people, arranged through his school, which is Justin's alma mater. They will be attending the Freedom Concert in Orlando this summer, which raises money for the children of our soldiers lost in the war. Martie, Justin, and I went to one in New York/New Jersey in 2005. Orlando is a far closer a venture!
Here is another crowd shot, and from our vantage point, we could look into the plates of those sitting below us. How cruel they were to eat in front of us, or below us! When it was time to sing the National Anthem and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, these men dropped their forks and stood at their table, even singing along. I believe they were of Arab descent, and as you scan this photo, you will see many races represented. In fact, a cool thing happened on the step just up from ours: a man was coming around, asking if folks wanted a copy of the Bill of Rights. The Asian man, perhaps Japanese, refused it, saying, in broken English, "I got mine from Heritage...", which is the Heritage Foundation. It really gave me pause...

This little guy just caught my eye and made me think of how I used to dress Justin when he was a toddler. Somehow Timmy did not spend a whole lot of time in 'dress mode', all part of the experiment I guess. Justin would have been wearing his saddle shoes, though. I love this little guys' outfit and his face was so precious as he tried to chant along with the group. I think they might be Hispanic and I believe, a Navy family, as they applauded really hard when this branch of the military was announced.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim
Love the pictures, must have been a great experience!!!

Love and hugs,
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.!

Finally, a commenter! It WAS a wonderful experience being with people who think the same way. We came in all shapes and sizes and colors, really neat!

Thanks for commenting!

Love,

Kim