My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Oops! I poked a hole in the sky!

Finally I made it 'home' to Orange Park late on Monday afternoon, more than 24 hours after my bro-in-law, David, picked me up at Mom's! Yes, travel by air certainly has its adventures, or, should I say, all travel, has its adventures? This time it was a mechanical problem causing our departure delay, something which was reported the first time as taking only 10 to 15 minutes to repair....times about four or five! We were given the option of getting off the plane if we feared for our connections in Minneapolis, and I did since there was only 45 minutes between flights for the on-time arrival. Knowing I would never make it, I 'deplaned' in MKE with many of the other passengers, and got into line to try to make new arrangements. Their announcement to the already testy passengers was literally, "Hey, folks, it's a Sunday night in Milwaukee..." so basically we should not get our hopes up. Some did not take that attitude very well with one traveler using his golf language without restraint. Personally, I would have hauled him off, and who knows?, they may have after I got back on the broken plane!
*
As we stood in line waiting for the agents to help us, another man trying to get to Jacksonville said he was calling Delta directly, using the "HELPLINE" number the staff posted on their board. The nice lady on the phone helped me arrange travel once I would get to Minneapolis, assuring me that getting to MPS was my best bet, since they are a Delta hub. She also told me I would have overnight lodging provided (Embassy Suites!!!) and a meal voucher. Nice! Another thing she told me was that I would get my luggage in MPS but that was not the case. Rats!
*
A free shuttle took us weary travelers from the MPS airport to the hotel. My room was simply a delight and while I would have loved to have my nightie to wear for sleeping and my toiletries for the obvious reasons, the desk clerk provided me with what he had in order to make me 'tolerable' the next morning. I have a cute deodorant to use in the future for traveling, plus he gave me a single-use tooth brush and packets of tooth paste to prevent dog breath. He apologized for not having a brush for me, but that was just fine, I don't use a brush. My food voucher paid for part of my meal in their lounge where I enjoyed, and I mean ENJOYED mini-steak sandwiches with chunks of real steak. Perfection!
*
Once back upstairs in my room, I got all comfy in my giant-sized bed, having set my alarms on the phone and on my nightstand (so weird to have a bedside clock!). The TV offered a multitude of stations but not WGN so no "Barney Miller" this Sunday night, instead a nice series of "Law and Order" to put me to sleep. Fortunately I had taken a Dramamine when I ordered my dinner which would help me fall asleep, and I did drop off, probably, right after 10:00 pm. I had been up REALLY early seeing Justin off for the airport in the wee hours on Sunday morning, and was not able to fully fall back to sleep after that (more on that another time!). Sleep felt very good and I awoke without help from the electronic alarms. I did have to chuckle when setting the one on the nightstand because it brought to mind a "Seinfeld" episode involving an Olympic runner missing his big race due to a malfunctioning alarm clock...
*
The hotel shuttle took me back to the airport with plenty of time to spare. I had to check-in at the desk for boarding passes and seat assignments, where I also asked the question as to the status of my luggage. Man, how I wish I had not put the laptop in the suitcase! But I just didn't want to carry more than I had to. By they way, it did survive the trip, carefully packed in the same foam padding that protected Alayna's painting on the trip up. There was even time for breakfast in the airport, a cold Burger King croissant sandwich. I know it has been a VERY long time since I last had one of those, but I really remember them being a hot sandwich....
*
With time before the flight and on the plane ride to Atlanta, my connecting airport, I had plenty of time to read. Yes, you read that correctly. Justin bought and read the entire "Overton Window" book, which came out on Tuesday, he bought it at the airport in JAX. He left it behind for me. I was already involved in another book, "Not Unto Us" which I had bought at NPH, but I can pick that up again once I am done with 'The Overton Window'. Halfway there already!
*
Martie graciously came to collect me from the airport since Justin was working today. He was planning to come to get me last night already and was not a little bit relieved to know he could go to bed instead of staying up to collect me. Justin asked me if I minded 'cooling my heels' at the airport once my plane landed since he had to work until 5:00 pm. Of course I would not mind, I am an excellent waiter, but he made some calls and I made some to friends, to see who could pick me up at 2:39 pm. A couple of my friends who would ordinarily be accommodating have out-of-town company, another had a class, another was on the ice pack with an aching back....Justin finally managed to get through to Martie who was more than glad to come for me. As she drove up and totally missed me (had to go around again!) it had begun to rain. We drove home in nearly torrential downpours, complete with thunder and lightning. I was soaked to the skin for the second time in a week, as I got my suitcase out of the back of her car. No sense both of us getting soaked, right? At least its warm here, over 90 during the rain storm. I believe I must have poked a hole in the sky as we descended for landing! Martie said the sweetest thing to me as we drove along: "Now things will seem more normal...I don't know, I am just all mixed up with things when you are gone!" Who could ask for better than that???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Wow, what a story! Glad you finally made it home. I know how Martie feels when you are not around! We feel the same here.

I bought the "Overton Window" too! Can't wait to get into it!

Have a blessed day!
Love and hugs,
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

God morning, Linda J.!

It was quite a story and fortunately I had nothing terribly pressing urging me home like some, many, most did. For them, I felt sorry.

Aw, thanks for dittoing Martie. You are so sweet! I told Mom and others when I was fixin' to leave that they can now have their city back....

I hope you enjoy the book, it really is a gripping tale. I won't tell you anything more about the story...

Wishing you a blessed day, too!

Love,

Kim