My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The end of the day

Pink clouds are moving in to replace the grey ones which deposited a couple heavy rain showers in the 'hour' I was at The Club for Happy Hour. I was so cold when I got back from there that I immediately changed from my garments into a nightie to help warm myself. My feet are still cold so I turned off the ceiling fan. Next thing will be my fuzzy slippers! It is about 81 in the house but I got chilled to the bone at The Club, but it must have been chilly in there as water was running down the inside of the windows and doors.
*
Earlier today I had the doors open in the front and back of the house as it was quite breezy again. When I left to run errands, I pulled the doors closed in the river room because the skies were threatening but it did not rain until evening. This a.m. I decided to put clothes on and take care of some errands rather than going out to the pool. We had no water aerobics today because Marlena was needed elsewhere at The Club and I decided to take the day off to rest my knees. They are complaining a bit today so we shall see if resting them helps. I went to the bank to deposit my check (yay!) and then went to a boutique called The Chocolate Shoe next to the nail salon in the Publix Plaza. There I was to get tickets for the Chamber of Commerce event at the movie theater on Friday, but they were sold out. The nice young lady made some phone calls to see about getting more and suggested I go to the theater itself to get mine. Now that works for me! Only, they did not have any to sell me, either, but the nice lady there made some calls, too. Her suggestion was to go to the Chocolate Shoe! I did end up going to the Chamber headquarters just down the street from where I live to get the tickets. Whew!, that was a project!
*
As long as I was out, I stopped to get a soda for me, and a sweet tea for Julia, and went to Great Hang Ups. Dee has a couple things she is working on for me but was not finished yet. In fact, she asked me to come back so we can go over the 'vignettes' from my watercolor art painted with Kris a Saturday ago. The visit was wonderful though and Dee's hubby, Blair, treated me to lunch from Chick Filet. Only a sandwich for me which was a tasty tasty treat! I wonder how come I never go there....
*
Last night, before Bible study, I stopped at Target to get some birthday presents for Maya, my great-niece. Tina had given me a short list of things she would like for her birthday and even with the aid of some "hosts" at Target, I was not able to find exactly what I was looking for. I did find a few cute things that she would like, including some Play Doh! Maya will be four this year which seems unreal but I guess it should not. That store is just huge, a superstore, and I had a tough time finding my way around, since I rarely shop there. Eventually I found the small appliances department where I bought myself (you better sit down....) a Mr. Tea for making iced tea! If I am going to be drinking iced tea, I will likely drink it by the gallon as I would soda so want to be prepared. It was less than $20 so it was no sweat if I do not make regular use of it. But, I tell you what, I might just learn to like it! When I told Ellen about it, she about fell out of her chair in shock. First I ate the crab dip and then dropped the bomb about the iced tea maker...Too much for one night!
*
Mary Lew came for Happy Hour tonight and I told her about being half way through the book she loaned me by Nora Ephron, "I Feel Bad About My Neck" and am enjoying it. She writes about different things relating to growing into middle-age, not always gracefully, but always with humor. Nora is a great writer and finds the same type of things amusing as I do! She wrote a chapter about purses, how messy they get and finding strange things in them. She wrote about finding old airline tickets and other ancient pieces of history tucked into corners. Last night when I cleaned out my purse, I found a partial package of pretzels from a luncheon a week or so ago. It made me laugh to find it, because of reading that book!
*
When Ellen and I were trying to leave The Club this evening, some of our friends lured us to sitting down at their table for a few minutes. Since I was so cold I really wished to head out but Maureen is rather insistant. The lady who runs The Club as well as owning a Unit in my building complimented me on the Palace Press I put out last week and wishes I could write for their newsletter. That was very nice and I appreciate it, but then she went on to ask me to help with a fund raiser event for St. Vincent's----a fashion show! Oh my, I hope she doesn't ask me to model!
*
Tomorrow night, Ellen, me, and another neighbor, Nancy are going to be star gazers. Some of the planets are aligning perfectly in the western sky, according to an e-mail Ellen received, and then a comet storm will take place. It puts me in mind of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and we figure the roof over Ellen's unit will offer the best vista. We can access it by climbing over a short wall from Nancy's patio (her idea!) and we are going to lie on blankets to enjoy the show. I hope it is not raining or cold (likely it will be in the high 70's), since the meteor shower won't take place or be visible until around 10:00 pm. When we parted company this evening, I told Ellen I would see her up on the roof, and decided I should write a song about that....Oh, wait, Laura Nero beat me to it!

2 comments:

Suzanne Chappell said...

Did you say, "I tell you what".. You made me laugh out loud at my desk!

it was a positive in my day, thanks!

Hugs!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Suzanne:

Thanks for your comment! I tell you what, it made my day to read it made it your day!!!

Hugs back to you!

See you tomorrow night, I will wave from the pew! Break a leg!

Love, Kim