My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's nearly sunrise

I am up before the sun, having slept an interrupted night but still getting rest. It will be so nice when my brain can go to sleep and stay that way, if you know what I mean. The insurance companies have been notified and in conversation with each other, and as of yesterday, the insurer for our building was contacted to see if they are able to help with some of the repairs. Much of that language is legal-speak regarding the statutes for the condominium and policies, etc. Sunday night was an emergency Board of Director's meeting at Nancy's condo to discuss the situation, figure out what to do regarding the building's responsibility and to check into hiring forensic plumbers to see if a diagram could be made showing which pipes go where and what controls what. There is still a problem in Gus's unit where he had insulated his bathroom walls and ceiling to lessen the sound of water from above from the bathrooms, as the insulation got wet and now must come out. Butch is helping Gus with that situation since he put the insulation there in the first place.
*
Being assured and reassured that this accident was not my fault helps but does not allay my great sorrow over what's happened to my neighbor's homes. My own home having problems is one thing, but to affect the others so much is hard on my heart. Certainly some day my bounce will come back but for right now I must accept that my light is a bit faded. Doing some of my normal things helps to distract, including doing an abnormal thing of working in the church office yesterday. There was no Bible study as pastor was gone to VA to preach at his first congregation as they celebrated 20 years of spreading the Word. My next scheduled day was Wednesday but Ellen and I are attending a fund raiser at The Club at lunch that day, so I might go in earlier in the day and then later in the day to finish up the service folder. Or, if need be, go after Bible study on Thursday.
*
Sunday night was the emergency BOD meeting which was to start just as the last play of the Jaguar game was being played. Nancy came screaming to the door to let us in (Tommy and me) and made us sit to watch the game winning 59 yard field goal which won the game for the Jags. Whoo hoo!!! This was a franchise record-setting kick and just a fantastic thing to witness. Justin sent me a text message reporting that his voice was gone from yelling at the game and his head pounding. It took them an hour and a half just to get to their car because of the crowds and the shuttle buses being so full. I hope this helps with ticket sales so the next game is not blacked out. It sure would have been awful to miss seeing this fantastic kick and have to listen on the radio instead. Even my family in WI got to see it.
*
After the BOD meeting Nancy asked me to stay to have a glass of wine with Ellen and her and even though I was not really in a social mood, decided it was in my best interest to mingle. Since I do not drink wine, Nancy asked me I drank hard liquor. That sounded so funny to me but before I could reply, Ellen piped up, saying, "Kim likes rum". So, Nancy mixed a rum and diet Coke for me which was enjoyed at her dining room table. We tried not to talk about the disaster but did discuss Ellen being motivated by all this to start packing up Billy's stuff for safe keeping. She had told me this on Saturday when Maggie and she came over, after reading the blog and seeing how I am busily getting my precious memories out of cardboard and into plastic. There is a silver lining! Anyway, Nancy and Ellen were discussing the upcoming holidays and she asked Ellen if she wanted to take a Christmas cruise. After some discussion, they shook hands on it---they are going on a cruise over the holidays!
*
Steve on Fox and Friends just remarked that someone flipped the 'Fall switch' as the temperatures are quite chilly all over the place, including here in north Florida. Only 56 degrees, many area Facebook friends remark how much they are enjoying these cooler temps, but as I drove over to church yesterday, I had my heat on in the car!
*WARNING
Monday afternoon I got busy in the bedrooms, packing and repacking box contents into plastic bins and got things ready for Justin to haul out to the car or trash. One box I grabbed was marked "Timmy's bedding" and instead of waiting for Justin to come for this, I did it all by myself. I grabbed a clear bin, cut the box open and starting to transfer. Right on top was Timmy's little pillow from his bed, a decorative one with a little drool on it, and cat hair! Wrapping some tape around my hand, I removed the cat hair as best I could and then packed it away. The bed pillows were in there, too, which were not going to fit into the plastic bin so I pulled off the pillow cases, folded them, and put the pillows on the side for dry cleaning. This project was nearly complete as I heard Justin coming up the stairs so I grabbed a tissue and mopped up quickly. He asked me, "Are you crying or sweating?" which made me chuckle and I pointed to the bin where he could see what was in it. He knew. Over a half dozen boxes were moved into plastic yesterday with a great deal of sorting going on. The stuffed animals without an immediate attachment were put into a box for the yard sale, some that were yukky-looking went in the trash, and the keepers shrink wrapped in a storage bag inside the bin. They pack better with their air sucked out!
*
I took a box with two booster seats in it to church with me last night for the Ladies' Group meeting. Thinking that perhaps Suzanne could use one or both of them for Daniel, the seats had to go to church either way for the yard sale or for Daniel. When she looked at them, at first it was a go but then upon further scrutiny, decided that the booster might not open wide enough to not squeeze his little legs. Perhaps I will see Mike on Wednesday to transfer more stuff from my car to his truck for the yard sale. It seems more efficient to handle one less time, unloading it at church and then having him load it into his truck. Also, I came upon several items that used to grace the gravesite but had to be gathered up in 2008. They were filthy so I put them twice through the dishwasher and cleaned them up good enough for the yard sale, too. You read that right---I put them in the yard sale box! When it was time to clean off the marker, it was horribly difficult but now, not so much. Time is a healer and being in this 'mode', a blessing!
*
By the way, since my shredder is now stuck in the ON position, I decided to replace it. Office Max offered only the self-contained style while the one I have straddles the wastebasket, allowing for use as a wastebasket and shredder. I went on-line and found out that does this so it is on its way. When I was telling Mike K. about it the other day, he said his does the same thing so he gets his stack of paper ready to shred, plugs it in, and does his thing. Mine at least has an OFF switch but that's a pain to do that way. It already had a crack in the front of it from working so hard and now it is time for a new one, especially with all those other boxes of papers stored in the cabinets in that back bedroom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning,
I am sending you a big hug! You are dealing with so many different emotions, I wish I was there to hug you in person!
Love you lots
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.:

Just knowing you are there really helps. Having a good sleep and getting some sunshine help as well, as does having confidence in the Lord that all will work out eventually, in His time!

Love you too!

Kim