My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Back in the swing of things



This is a photo taken with Justin's cell phone as he collected me from the airport last night. His remark to me was this: "Someone might get the impression that you like the color red..." since all but my slacks and shoes were red. He is taking a photo every single day for a year, part of a journaling thing where he is required to have a Photo of the Day, and yesterday, I was it!


What a wonderful time I had on my trip! Even though I was sick part of the time, I still had a marvelous time with my family and friends in Manitowoc. Later I will post the photos which I took time to download this early afternoon (on the other computer) but for now I am using mostly words. 

As I write this, I am sporting a jaunty, classy grey and black fur hat and fur collar in the same pattern, a gift to me from my Justin. The look might be Audrey Hepburn-like or just plain my style! Ever since he gave me this gift after our breakfast this morning, I have not taken off the hat or the buttoned-on fur collar. Even now, as I lie on the bed, the hat and collar are in place. Justin said it reminded him of 'that lady who lives on the 5th floor' who is so classy and I am sure she would have a royal fit if she knew about this comparison! Justin took a photo of me with my camera with the new items plus my fancy Jaguar gloves, but, again, it is on the other computer to be posted another time.

The first thing I did this a.m. was NOT wrap my presents for Justin as he stayed overnight after picking me up from the airport. Once home, he got busy washing his dirty clothes which he'd brought along with him. When I went in this a.m. to wash my clothes, I saw that he'd washed a HUGE load of his clothes and towels with the washer set on 'small load'. I wondered about rewashing it all since it likely did not really get washed, to say nothing of the struggling my washer endured, but he said, "As long as the clean smell is there, that's all that matters...." Okay, then! He had reset the temperature to cold/cold but not checked the load size. Oops! 

We enjoyed a nice breakfast at Grumpy's after we had each showered and dressed for the day. Justin had used my car primarily when I was gone so he had lots of work to do when we got back from breakfast, cleaning out the junque and trash, etc. He had gone to Orlando with his friends for New Year, staying at a friend's apartment instead of going out, much to my delight. Not necessarily delight that my car was all over creation, but that he was somewhat safe.

Justin is having troubles getting things arranged for his unemployment but he told me today that will be going back to work in February, helping his father run the jobs, etc. In the 'old days' these fellas were called the superintendents on the site but now the terminology is 'builder'. That sort of scares me that he might be considered a builder in some circles but hopefully both his father and he recognize his limitations and lack of experience, etc. More than once less-than-qualified guys were made 'builders' before they were really equipped to be put in so responsible a position. It all comes down, inevitably, to accountability. Part of the reason for this 'promotion' is that one of the homes presently under contract is located in the Beaches area, making it easier for Justin to check on and report about from his vantage point. Let's wish him well and much success!

My last week in WI was a blast and the time simply flew by, although Mom and I did manage to spend most of the evenings in her home, keeping warm. Sunday last week was football day, watching the Packer game with Lynn and munching on ham leftovers. Earlier in the day was the reaffirmation of Angelo's baptism at Calvary Lutheran in Sheboygan, which I may have written about already. One day last week I went to see Mona and Allie, not John because he was working. Gave Allie her presents and enjoyed some time with the ladies.

That night I went to visit Harvey and Clara Petska for a couple hours. Wednesday Linda and I went to the salon to get our nails done, Linda hands and me, my feet. Mom offered to watch Linda's twin granddaughters and they all three had a blast. Linda and I had lunch at Harborside where our 'regular' waitress took care of us, making sure we got our perch sandwiches which were not on the menu that day!

Wednesday evening I rode with Harv and Barb to visit Nancy and family in downtown Valders. Harv was glad that I called to share the ride because we could chat that way on our car trip together plus he remarked that this was the most 'family' together in one place since their dad's funeral in late February. We had a marvelous dinner at Nancy's with the fare being very similar to what their mom would have served 'back in the day' including pea soup, sausage and cheese, ham, crackers, rolls, and plates of sweet delight. And ice in the soda which is stored on the porch----oh, my goodness, talk about delicious!

On New Year's Day I went to see my sister-in-law, Sharon, at the assisted living home where she resides. There----that's everybody! All visited and gifts bestowed upon them.

New Year's Eve was spent at Linda's, even though Judy and Jerry did not come. The weather was quite warm by winter standards but the fog was as thick as 'mushroom soup' as Gabe would say. We had dinner early at Jachimstal's and then all went to church together and took Holy Communion. I was finally able to sing and Linda's granddaughter, Madison, leaned over to me in church to whisper, "You have a beautiful singing voice". Nice! The next two days though, I was croaky again, go figure! Anyway, after church we took Mom home and the rest of us (Lynn, Alayna, and me) went back to Linda's where we had snacks and played "Would You Rather.....? Tommy went to bed, but the rest of us watched the ball drop in New York City at 11:00 pm Manitowoc time and I crawled into bed right at midnight on January 1, 2011. Happy New Year!

As I mentioned, much time was spent inside at Mom's, where we kept nice and warm thanks to her space heater, afghans, and regular heat. We ate many meals in, and some wonderful ones out, once I felt well enough to venture out. On my birthday 10 of my family and a couple friends joined me at the Green Street Tavern for a lovely lunch---I had a great, great birthday!!

We got to church often three days in a row, and even managed to get in a Bible study yesterday before I left town. Mom made supper for Lynn and I on Saturday night which we ate while watching the Badgers get beaten in the Rose Bowl game. It was close, but no cigar, not this year anyway. After seeing Sharon on Saturday, I stopped at the corner convenience store near her facility to investigate the home-made candy I had found in the past. Sure enough, I found angel food candy and nonpareils for me to bring home with me. Plans are to re-bag it in smaller bags to share with friends....but not all of it!

No comments: