My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Nice, clear skies

Even at night, the skies are clear and moon is bright. Around midnight last night, or earlier this a.m., the smell of smoke became quite strong, so much so that I thought perhaps a door had been left open or something. In checking, the doors were all closed tightly but yet the smell permeated. The moon was a funky orange color due to the filter it was passing through. At some point in the wee hours, I heard my printer cranking and grinding in my dark room, and it occurred to me we had lost power at some point. My TV was off which would absolutely wake me up but the pounding rain did the trick as well. Lightning was also visible which is not good when we already have so many fires going on. This a.m. when I woke up for good, the wind was blowing quite hard which succeeded to move the smoke away for a while. It is a breath of fresh air in many, many ways!

This afternoon I sent yet another e-mail to my insurance man regarding the certified letter I received before leaving for Manitowoc, and it seemed as though he had not even read my first communication to him. In his response to my original e-mail, he wrote that I should call him, he would be in the office all day. That day being my travel day, it was not ideal to discuss this business from the airports. The weekend was Memorial Day so I called him the next week, having to leave a message with one of the ladies in the office, and she assured me he would call back. Today, after I sent him my e-mail, he finally called me back. Russ asked me to scan the letter from the insurance company to him, and I said I had already done that. No wonder he could not figure out what they wanted---he had not opened the attachment in the first place!!!

Russ also made a remark about why the letter was sent to me and not the insurance company, and, hey, I don't know either! He said the letter would be referred to the Claims Department and I gave him the name of the guy who had been helping me. Russ said, "You made my job easier!" which is exactly what I was trying to do. NOT! He sort of ticked me off, you know? Later he sent an e-mail saying he had turned it over to Claims and I should hear something tomorrow. I can rest more confidently now that Greg will be on the case, since time is of the essence as so much has gotten away from us. As I was talking to Dee tonight at a Club function, she said, "It is never going to go away, is it?" So it seems!

Today I drove over to Victory where they are holding their VBS this week. The cheese and sausage was delivered to Ed, who was wearing one of his many hats today including photographer. He was happy to have his special treats and told me Judy stayed home today because the smoke yesterday was too much for her. Rita was there getting snacks ready for the children and we greeted each other. She said I looked like I had lost some weight, mostly around my face and neck, which was exactly what Julia had said on Tuesday. Did I??? My photos taken in WI do not attest to that, but I graciously accept the compliments. From Victory, Justin and I met Stephanie and Erica for lunch at Bahama Breeze where we enjoyed a lovely lunch. Both Stephanie and I had an adult beverage with our meals, which was had al fresco. Such a different day than yesterday, remarkably so!

Justin picked up some garbage bags for me at my request as I was totally out and needed to change a couple. My office basket which gets full quickly from soda cans, to-go boxes, and shredded paper. It was not emptied before I left for WI so really needs taking care of. I offered him my to-go box of chicken mini-sandwiches with yellow rice but he refused. They will serve me well for breakfast tomorrow. Not sure if we will go to La Nopalera or not, have not heard from my neighbors. Several of my other neighbors have welcomed me back home, one lady wondering where I was since she did not see me at the pool. It is time!!

No comments: