My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

We make our own trouble sometimes

Really? Do you think so? I am yet a bit tremulous after making the travel arrangements for Justin and me in December. He was unsure of what his work schedule would be and in order for me to go ahead with the reservations, had to make a decision. Hopefully he will not miss a day of work with William, but it might work that the lawn jobs are scheduled around Justin’s traveling!

When I let Mom know our dates, she was glad to know he would be there as long as he is planning to be. Last year in spring was the last time Justin was there, for Alayna’s graduation. His time was cut short when his future step-mother flew him home for Father’s Day. This visit will be longer and more activity-packed, including, I hope, a stop at the Green Street Tavern for perch on our way from the airport!

What made me nervous was the actual reservation process, using my flight voucher (it worked!) to help defray some of the cost of his ticket. Since his travel is during one of the busiest travel times of the year, his fare is more than my longer stay fare. Once a person hits the ‘Purchase’ button, it’s a done deal, and too expensive to mess up. My confidence was weak this morning but now, it is taken care of, in keeping with Justin’s requirements.

Since speaking with him this morning, he has called me again and talked all the way to Ponte Vedra where he was going to do some site prep work for a house being built there. It’s a long ride from Fleming Island, that is for sure! He was telling me about a sale at Old Navy with a discount today only (hint hint) and about his upcoming trip to NYC. He is being treated to a Packer/Giants game as someone in his step-mother’s family works for the Giants’ team and gave them tickets. Justin’s role is supposedly to be the tour guide as he knows his way around The City.

He told me how he reported enjoying the more laid-back visits we had done but also is looking forward to the hurried schedule they will have (5 in the party) once they arrive. The other day he sent me an excited text message reporting a Duane Reade drugstore right in the hotel!!! We usually hit the closest drugstore or bodega for soda when we are there, and to have it right in the hotel is great! And dirty water hot dog stand out front as well, nothing better!

He arrives in NYC on Friday afternoon and returns to JAX on Monday, hopefully arriving in time to make it to the Jaguar game that night. I offered to pick him up from the airport but he said, “You wouldn’t want to take me downtown to the Jaguar stadium…” Nope, he needs his buddies for that! Plus, that night I am hosting the Ladies’ Group CHRISTmas party here which means I would have no time for airport runs that day. I am sure a certain amount of angst had to go into that trip planning as well. But how exciting to see the Packers play!

No comments: