My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, February 10, 2012

A day of superb proportions!

Today was such a nice day, the first part especially.  At first I was torn about climbing out of bed to go to breakfast at The Club but decided I would. It made me very sad to see the moving truck parked downstairs and seeing my dear neighbor’s belongings being carried around. A tear or two sneaked out as I talked to Connie and to Gus about their moving out. This brought back memories of my own moves, making me not a little bit envious. Not that I am in a big hurry to get out of here, especially when nothing is leaking, but the prospect of redecorating and such is appealing to me. Right now, here to stay!

When I got to The Club, Randy and Carol were already there at ‘our’ table. After a few moments, Mary joined us. It had been a couple weeks since I saw her and I was so glad she came! Poor Randy was a bit out of the circle with our ‘girl’ talk since Mary was telling about an upcoming wedding to which she is invited. It takes place on St. Valentine’s Day in St. Augustine (that’s a lot of saints!) and all are encouraged to wear red.

Mary is a whole head taller than I am and has trouble finding appropriately sized garments, much less formal wear. In red, no less! Her feet wear size 10 ½ which gives her grief as well. Today she was sporting her new sandals in order to wear them in a bit before the wedding. It was interesting to listen to her lament about being a big, tall, Swede with giant feet!

When I first met her, she mentioned wanting to write a book describing the sorrows of being a woman like her. I told her it’s not a picnic being my height either but I can get stuff easily from the lower shelves in the grocery store. Mary can get the high up stuff! She was the lady who made me laugh so hard at water aerobics, when discussing buoyancy, claiming she could never pick up the penny from the bottom of the pool! That just tickled me!

Carol mentioned that she had an old photo of her father that needed framing and after a bit of planning, off we three ladies went to Great Hangs Ups. Carol first went home to get her photo and came back to get Mary. I drove over myself because of needing to go to Publix. I warned Julia we were coming and asked her if she needed anything to eat. Since Dee retired, Julia often cannot get away, not wishing to close for lunch. She was fine, though, so I went over. Justin’s Packer stock certificate was framed and ready to go, looks fantastic!

The ladies and I had a great visit with Julia, selected the frame and matting for Carol’s picture, and Mary even bought some jewelry and ceramic plate. She thanked me for introducing her to my friends, and I am so glad for us all! We ladies thought about going to see “The Artist” this afternoon but it was no longer showing in our area. We guess it might come back again after the Academy Award show, when it will likely win a couple Oscars. There was nothing else we wanted to see without watching the trailers first so scratched the movie watching. Instead, I just went to Publix and came home.

Justin was going to make chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and chocolate sprinkles for MamMa’s birthday but when I saw that the Decadance cake was on sale…well….I snapped it up! No muss, no fuss, and MamMa’s wish for chocolate will be granted! 

No comments: