My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Two in one day

I have two baby showers coming up, not two in one day, though. That title references my Bible studies on Thursdays. But the showers are this Sunday afternoon and then one next Wednesday evening, as part of the Happy Hour event at The Club. In order for me to participate, I will have be there at 6:00 pm and leave promptly at 6:30 to allow travel time to choir rehearsal. 


The bar manager, Jacob, and his wife, are expecting their first child and the 'regulars' are holding the shower for them. Jacob is the nicest, most polite young man I have met in a long time. Because he is so sweet, I allow him to address me as Miss Day, even though I have asked repeatedly for him to at least say Miss Kim. Nope, no can do! And Lahaie Day is too much to remember on the fly...


Sunday's shower is for Lisa W., the daughter-in-law of my friends, Jimmie and Brenda. I will make the journey to Clay Hill to help them celebrate the pending birth of their first grandson. Jimmie and Brenda have two granddaughters, Faith and Hope, by their son JD, but now, a grandson is on the way! Lisa is the young lady who does my toes for me so I will have to wear closed-toed shoes that day!


Justin told me about a baby bib he saw in a parking lot where he was working (landscaping) which he thought quite clever. Paper on one side, with a plastic backing, with ties at the neck. A little pocket at the bottom to catch the drips, and then, throw it away! Or, leave it in the parking lot for someone else to pick up. I think I will look for some of those to give as gifts to the new parents, as well as some wipes and disposal bags, always good things to have!
                                   
His describing the bib reminded me of the time I sent extra napkins along to school, when he was in pre-k, to protect his uniform shirt from the spaghetti sauce they had on Mondays. When he came home, his shirt still had sauce stains on it, despite his extra napkin/bib. I asked him about it and he said, "Well, one side got dirty, so I turned it around..." That is sooo Justin!!


Today I had the distinct privilege of attending a pair of Bible studies, one at Victory. What a great give 'n take we had this a.m., and eventually we even finished the lesson. Pastor shared some sad news affecting members, two separate instances of suicide. One family had their parent, recently left a widower, take his life. Another couple had their dinner interrupted as a bullet shattered a framed picture on their living room wall. What? 


It seems their next door neighbor put one in his head while sitting in the backyard. It exited out the other side of his head, through the wall of their home, and shattered the picture. Much much more was shattered that evening than the picture on the wall. 


It is so tragic, the lack of hope these poor folks had. Neither men were practicing Christians, but even we believers feel pressed down on occasion. Prayers for all those affected, those left with questions...


Our small in number group discussed several issues relating to these events and what the Bible says about them. One man who is known for speaking when he should not said some rather...um....less- than-sensitive things, which the rest of us resisted. (How diplomatic was that????) Unless someone has lived with or around a person with mental illness, you cannot speak to it. There!! Even though the actual topic on the pages of the study booklet escape me, the memory of the conversations do not.


Sadly, Rita was absent yesterday as were Marilyn and Judy A. I missed them in the class, my only chance to see them once a week. Oh well, next week, then!
                           
About 5:30 pm Judy C. called to ask if I had plans for dinner. I did not so off we went to meet 'n eat at Steak and Shake, for which she had coupons again. She got home from babysitting early which freed her for dinner before BIC.  
                     Single Steakburger
When I order my single burger, I get only pickles on it and use the ketchup at the table to add to the burger. The sandwich comes with shoestring fries and my soda was free with the coupon. Less than $5 and I couldn't finish the fries!


Our friend, Amber, was planning to be at class, and she made it. Whew! Sunday she was absent from church and missed class last week with company in town, which made Judy and me nervous. 


We were discussing baptism tonight and at one point, Amber whispered to me, "That's my problem---I never got baptized!" We were talking about being sinful from birth and having evil inclinations, rebellious toward God, and such. I whispered back to her, "It's not too late..." and she had written on her blank page in bold letters "Not baptized". I think now is good to have a baptism! 


Sometimes I wonder how much is being absorbed due to her concentration problems and such since her stroke but I think she gets it. Knows what is missing in her life, a life in faith! As we parted company, she told Judy and me that she is going to talk to Pastor about being baptized next week. Yes, and I will say prayers of thanksgiving for that day....


" I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
What wonderful news about Amber being baptized!

How sad about the two suicides. We can never understand the total despair.

love and hugs,
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.:

As I have said to Judy, there really is no reason to wait, now is as good a time as any for Amber to receive this free gift from the Triune God!

Yes, it is so tragic about these two lost lives. One I know of was mourning the recent loss of his wife less than a month before. His poor children are left to deal now with the loss of both their parents...Very sad....

Love and hugs to you too!

Kim

Darla said...

Praise God! Please take pics of her being baptized! Such a wonderful event. Richard and I both were baptized together like 20 years ago...we got certificates in the mail in a frame signed by the preacher. I have them in my room. Wouldn't part with them for anything. Sorry to hear about the suicides. Have a wonderful day Kim!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Darla:

Thanks so much for commenting! I appreciate it!

If she goes ahead with being baptized, I see no reason why she wouldn't, I will try to take a picture. This woman has so many struggles in her life and to have the extra comfort of being One with Christ can only help.

Blessings on your weekend!

Kim