My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I am gorgeous!

Or at least, I will be! Tonight for dinner, meeting my friend, Belinda (a.k.a. Mary Kay), at Johnny Angels Diner, I got my order. My food order and my MK order. Belinda brought me my lipstick, eye shadow, and foundation, plus gave me a free compact to carry the foundation and lipstick tube. Cool !
                       
I had called my mom on the ride to Johnny Angels, and she noticed how early it was for me to be eating. We had to, though, in order for me to get to Victory for the new BIC starting tonight. It turned out we ate later than 5:00 pm, finishing our meals by 6:15, in plenty of time for me to drive to church.


Belinda got a bit lost at first but eventually found the place, which is set back from the street in a plaza. I had sent  the address via text message but she did not see the message. No worries, we had plenty of time to eat and chat. 


It was fun to see the staff at Johnny's again, since it's been weeks between visits. Also delicious to have one of their cheeseburgers again! Belinda was searching the menu for just the right thing, as all the names of the items are from 50's and 60's stuff, not necessarily a simple path. I asked her if she was a fan of Reuben sandwiches and she said she was, so that is what I recommended. She was able to eat half and took the other half home with her, plus half of my fries.
***
A burger was a welcome meal after the pungent lunch Justin and I had at the former Koko's restaurant, now named Nishiki. We met the new owner afterward but I did not mention the overuse of garlic in the food preparation. I should have just leaned in and breathed in his face! Holy cow!!! Phew!!


The service was slow, which was unfortunate for the attorneys sitting at our table who were on their lunch. It seemed there was only one chef on duty but only two or three tables with people at them. He put on the whole show with juggling his utensils and food products, usually reserved for dinner diners. He wore a straw cowboy hat and a bandana but was obviously Chinese, which was sort of funny.
                      
As he cooked for us, he would use his spatula to slice off a slab of butter to fry with and then returned to the cart to slice offf a strip or gob of garlic to add to the food. At first I thought it was also butter but Justin whispered, "That's garlic!" As we ate our fried rice, it had a bite to it, and I thought at first it was pepper, perhaps white pepper. Justin said it was the garlic, and as he said that, the man next to me was sort of coughing as he ate his rice. Yup! Whoo! We stunk all afternoon!


The remainder of my chicken was taken with us over to Great Hang Ups where Caesar, the dog, was waiting for me. Julia wondered what the food was like, since they have only been open a couple days. As I opened the to-go box, the smell of garlic leapt out and she said, "Oh, my!" as she put her finger under her nose.
                         
Caesar was going to have dog breath now after eating bits of this garlic teriyaki chicken. (When I got a soda a few moments ago, the smell hit me as I opened the fridge, from my chicken!) I brushed my teeth, rinsed with mouth wash, and had a bowl of sherbet in attempts to salvage my breath for this evening!


After lunch and our stop at Hang Ups, Justin and I went to Kohl's where I made a return. While I stood in line, Justin went looking for t-shirts and found four of them in no time at all. They were two for $14 which is a great buy for summer shirts, all of them patriotic in nature. Nice! And he paid for them himself, how about that??


We had also planned on going to Wal*Mart to get a desk chair but then he decided he'd already spent enough money. My left knee was acting up and I think he was having mercy on me but he also didn't want to spend the money. He most certainly can use my desk chair since my laptop is still at the shop (YES, still at the shop!!!) and I am not at my desk. I leave on Thursday so he can use mine the rest of the month, nearly. I must get my laptop back in order to print some stuff off. So frustrating!


When I got home this a.m. from the groomers, he was busily vacuuming in his bedroom. His room looked great, the floor visible, but sadly, his bed was not! Everything was piled up there but the room itself looked great! If only he'd keep going until the room was straightened away, start to finish. My sister, Lori, remembers that I couldn't go to bed, back in the days when we shared a room, until everything was put in order. And, the same as now, I could slip out of my bed and the blankets would look like no one slept there!


The evening, then, was spent at Victory for the BIC class. I was the first one there, and was concerned no one else was coming. Pastor H. was sure there were more coming, and through the door came Erica and her boyfriend, Justin! Plus another couple taking the class for the first time. 


It was Justin's idea to take the class with Erica, and she was surprised and pleased. The married couple, Brian and Kim, found Victory due to its proximity to their home, and have a desire to make it their church home. Pastor was helpful when Kim was looking for a job, just happened to have a business card on his desk for someone looking to fill a position. I said, "Oh, how divine!" Yes, it was, and is!

No comments: