My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Some special times

When I was in WI, visiting my family in Manitowoc, I also spent time with some friends. One night Rick and Laura took me to Time Out for dinner, where I had those marvelous beer-battered perch. When together, I returned a nightshirt Laura left behind when they had visited me in April. We went over to their house after dinner and I got the 25 cent tour of their home and property. My family remembers having been there years ago for a cosmetic party but I do not. It was a nice evening!
Taken on a previous visit, so you can get the idea (Marilyn is the second lady on the left with Mom in the foreground on the right)
Linda and I spent time together throughout the visit, but our best day was Thursday, before I left. First, Mom, Lynn, and I went to church to help assemble the newsletter. A group gathers and makes quick work of the project. One lady is a very dear friend of Judy J., who lives now in FL but was formerly church friends with Marilyn in MI. Marilyn lives now in Manty in the neighborhood where we built homes years ago. One time, several years ago, Marilyn called Judy to ask if she knew us, since we had signed the guest book and she noticed the Orange Park and Good Shepherd listed as our church. Well, of course, Judy knew us! How fun is that??? Judy told Marilyn how we went to church together, how she was my sponsor for working at Sprint, and how she helped us find a home to rent in Peters Creek, where she resides. Gotta love the WELS!

After we were done with the newsletter, I said 'good-bye' to the two pastors, and wished Pastor Rosenow well in his pending retirement. We ladies---Lynn, Linda, Mom and I---ate at the new restaurant opened only the day before, called "8th and York". 

After lunch, Linda and I went to her house for our action-packed afternoon of retreat. Yes, she and I watched a recorded woman's retreat lecture given by Prof. Daniel Deutschlander on "The Theology of the Cross". The session was two hours long and his first time presenting to women, most of which were lay people. Linda had already seen the first hour but was ready to see/hear it again. 

Talk about riveting! Wow! Linda often watches movies and TV shows, and women's retreat lectures with her eyes closed. She gets up at 4:30 a.m. so I would guess by afternoon, her eyes get heavy. Since he had no illustrations or visuals to show, it doesn't matter if your eyes are closed---just keep the ears open. 

What was so funny was the camera recording this lecture was in proximity to a table where some ladies were seated, and we would have sworn it was Linda and me. At the same times we 'reacted' to something the Prof. said, those ladies did too. Those little throat sounds of agreement, or the verbalized ones, softly agreeing or acknowledging his point. At first I thought it WAS Linda but then realized it was coming from the computer we were watching on! Love to know THEY were getting it, too!!!
                           
Linda made dinner for us, with Tommy cooking the brats on the grille set up on the front porch while the back porch is being redone. How delicious is a freshly grilled brat! We had cole slaw and baked beans, and yes, onions on our brats. I took seconds on the slaw, that's how good it was! Linda and I both had onions so we had to breathe on each other at Bible study that evening.

We were in downtown Shoto on Thursday night, attending a women's Bible study at the home of Kathy Wendland, who also conducts the Tuesday class at FG. Different topics at each study, and different ladies, too.  I got to see several I had not seen the rest of the visit which was awesome. The class was also awesome! We told Kathy about watching the lecture, and reported seeing/hearing her stand up during the Q & A session to thank him for giving the women 'the meat' they are so hungry for. Well said, Kathy, well said!

And that is how we roll!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Kim,
Do we know how to have fun, or what!
by the way, I did not watch that video with my eyes closed, I don't think.

I enjoyed our time together, wish we had more time. I have words left over!

Love and hugs
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.!!

We certainly do know how to have fun! Good for you if kept your eyes open the entire time---remember, I was somewhat behind you. We did not hearing any "snoring" on the feed, right?

I am so thankful for the Internet and being able to keep in touch the way we do, when we are not face to face!

Love and hugs to you,

Kim