My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Doing some catch-up...

...while I await the arrival of my house guests. There was an overnight change in plans, as the travelers from CO were not able to fly out of Chicago and had to spend the night in a hotel instead of coming the rest of the way to FL. Since I was supposed to have Bible study this a.m., Mike C. would not bring them over until after class but now, as there is actually no class today, I expect them momentarily!

Yesterday was spent first with a trip to the grocery store to stock up on some supplies for the young folks, in order for them to pack lunches for their trip to Orlando tomorrow. And to have some things for them to snack on during the day today as well as tonight after doing VBS calls. Anything more than that can be picked up tomorrow or anytime. Got enough to get us started!
                         
When I left about 9:30, Justin was on his bed watching something on his computer, probably HOUSE episodes.  He did come down to help carry the bags upstairs but had not addressed the chores. His list, written out last Saturday, was yet incomplete with promises that all would be taken care of on the 4th. When I mentioned it, he said, "It will get done---they won't be here for 36 hours..." Far be it for me to question, as I don't care about the number of hours in between, I simply want it done!

Justin was told the kids would arrive after I got home from Bible study so all things needed to ready. (He later said, once the work was done, that he thought Thursday night's class, not the morning one. No reason whatsoever to not do this on one's day off rather than after working all day long doing yard work!!!) 

The original plan was the guests would be spending the night at Chappell's due to the lateness of the hour they arrived (wee hours). In the morning, Mike would make them breakfast and they would lounge for a bit. By the time they had eaten, etc. I would be home from Victory to greet them. Now, a new plan is in place...So glad I chased him around the house with a broom to get things taken care of. Oooh, I was hoppin' mad!

While I was dashing about with my dusting wand in hand, I heard the doorbell ringing. There stood my neighbor, Cathy, with two pina coladas in hand. One for me and one for Justin. She gave me a big hug, when I explained how disappointed I was in my man-servant, and I told her I was drinking them both! Cathy knew he was supposed to be getting my house ready. I did keep the second one for another time!
In the meantime, a huge thunderstorm roared in, causing the staff at The Club to scamper madly to clear away the tables and such set up outside for the dinner buffet. It is a big event, where folks come to eat and then stay to watch the fireworks. The whole works was a wash out! I am not sure if those who came to eat went indoors or what they did, but the lightning was fierce. And some hotel guests decided the lightning was not a problem and stayed in the pool throughout the entire storm! Young football players are immune, it seems from electrocution. 


Justin left to attend his celebratory function for Independence Day while I debated going up to Nancy's for her party and fireworks viewing. It was still pouring rain which made me wonder what, if anything, would go on. Meanwhile, I was regularly checking the wall in the river room to see if it was dry, and, thank the Lord, it was! And remained so through the entire storm. Perhaps the repair did the trick??!!?? Because the rain was not wind driven, it might not be the best test, but since I am wildly hopeful, I say it's fixed!


On the veranda at Nancy's, which stretches the width of the building, we enjoyed the variety of appetizers people brought to share (my chips 'n dip would have fallen far short if I took them!). Justin was supposed to pick up a meat 'n cheese tray for me from Wal*Mart when he went, but he forgot...Not a good "Justin Day" in my book! 


Nancy provided the drinks and the spectacular view of the pyrotechnic display, once it began. Hugh played his CD of patriotic music almost in time to the rocket's red glare and I was not alone when a tear sneaked down my cheek at one point. It was thrilling to sing along to the popular America-based songs with my neighbors, even those who are French knew the words!! I am so glad I went and got over my mad. Now, I am enjoying my cleaned up house for a while before the guests arrive. Love that!!!

No comments: