My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Thursday, October 18, 2012

I can't play poker!

Several years ago when we played card games with our friends, Bruce asked me, "You don't play poker, do you, Miss Kim?" My face gives me away!

My dinner, and Justin's, came from The Club last night as I went to sample the new Lahaie Day Slider on the tapas menu. When I got there, a round table usually comfortably seating 7 or 8 people had closer to 20 around it. Two of my neighbors, Joe and Rose, were seated at the adjoining table so I plunked myself down with them. 

As people were coming in, more chairs were pulled around the first table as the circle backed away from the table. Since I was going to order food, it was best for me, and my table-mates, to stay where we were. Joe and Rose were taking part in the beer-tasting event going on which provided slider-style burgers and chicken wings, and had left the table to get their food. Mine was being delivered to me from the kitchen. 

Hugh looked up and saw me alone at the table, and I heard him say, "Kim's sitting by herself..." as he got up and came to where I was seated. He urged me to join their circle and promised me no one would use profanity or talk about live-in situations. Nice! I did explain Rose and Joe were filling their plates and would be right back, assuring him I was just fine where I was, but also thankful he was concerned for me.

The "live-in situations" comment came from the other night on the sundeck when one couple was explaining about getting their son's apartment or house ready for the girlfriend to move in with him. I don't remember reacting openly to their conversation but something must have been expressed in my face, or from him knowing me (I hope the latter), which made him say such a thing to me. I am such a pain to have around! But yet, they wanted me!

Gradually a couple ladies left that table and came over to where I was seated. Miss Chardonnay came in and sat next me, quite gingerly, as her back is giving her a fit. She was having an MRI this a.m. to see what's going on. She recently began doing yoga with our upstairs neighbor who is an instructor and I can't help but wonder if it's related. 

Betty and Kathy came over and our heads were together with Joe and Rose, talking about the debate from the night before. Miss Chardonnay was the only one not in the know, admittedly so. She took the opposite position of the rest of us, and kept trying to hush Rose. "Excuse me, I'm talking!"---just like in the debate!! 

Kathy was able to explain a few things to her but as she was speaking, I picked up my to-go bag with Justin's dinner in it, to leave. Miss C. grabbed my arm and asked me, "I didn't offend you, did I?" I assured her she had not but I did want to take Justin's dinner to him. Betty was concerned about my walking home alone but I was fine. So fine, in fact, that Justin was standing at the railing, watching for me! He claimed he heard me coming....I was not laughing so I don't know what gave me away!

No comments: