My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, November 16, 2012

SnoBalls and Suzy Q's

Almost as big a story as the sex scandal around our Nation's top military leaders is the one of the demise of the Twinkie. I don't want to hear about it, but this story is everywhere. I know that other companies already make a knock-off of these baked goods. What is a newsworthy portion of this story is the reason why the Hostess company chose to close---the Unions refusing to reach an agreement. Earlier in the week I had heard rumblings of this happening but it seems as though today is when it hit the mainstream media. 
                                             
I will miss the SnoBalls but another company already makes a relatively identical Suzy Q product (oh, please, don't let them be Unionized!!!) so I am good. Every year when the SnoBalls appear on the shelves, I would buy a package for me and one for Cliff, and put it in his church mailbox. We both had a passion for the SnoBalls!
                                               
What are larger news stories are the escalation of tensions in the Mideast, with Israel on the brink of war. Soldiers and reservists are poised for an air and land assault unless a truce is reached. Meanwhile our own military is bruised to the core by the loss of three or four high ranking leaders for various reasons, mainly, sins of the flesh. I hope our armed services are not called upon to serve another front until this is all settled.

The "best" part of the scandal is that the eyes of the mainstream press are at last focused on the killings in Benghazi and how this was allowed to happen. Why was the call sent out for help and none came? Who removed the name "Al Quaeda" from the talking points and who introduced the idea that a video caused a riot? Hopefully the truth about this event is flushed out and the parents and families of those killed at last will have answers, as will the Nation.
                                                
We are on Day Three of no sunshine and I am powering down something fierce. Justin again insists we get a SAD light and even has in mind the place to position it in order for me to benefit. Oh my! Besides there being no sun for days, the temperatures are dropping, chilling me to the bone. Even Justin was cold in the house, air temp showing 74 above zero. He plugged in my space heater for me in my room, and turned the heat on for the house for about 5 minutes, to get the chill out. As I said before, I have ruined him!

Today I spent about 5 hours with some of my lady friends working on the church archives, the photo portion of this project. We made great strides and think we might have an excellent chance of finishing up in the next two sessions. We did decide, however, to pause this project until after New Year as our time becomes more precious. 
                                                   
In the Fellowship Hall, two couples were painting and "redecorating" the bathrooms which were left untouched during the remodel. They chose a blue/grey or perhaps brighter hue than that for the walls. The ladies did the painting with Jim helping do that, but Lonnie is not a painter, so he busied himself elsewhere. New framed mirrors were installed and pretty light strips put in place over the mirrors. We are going to be the envy of church bathrooms, although we have a long way to go to match Victory's spaciousness!
                                            
Because I am so appreciative of their efforts, doing this on a donation basis, (not costing the congregation any money) I offered to chip in toward the effort. Must remember to take care of that on Sunday. These two couples also arrange for the lawn service out of their pockets so they allow me to help out with that every now and again. Because I can no longer do the yard work or other chores, I am glad to help those who make it happen. It matters to me what our property looks like to the community, and, besides that, this is the house of the Lord! We should take good care of it!

2 comments:

Darla said...

I was cold all day long yesterday....and it was nice outside. Just couldn't get warm!!! Have a wonderful day Kim and enjoy the snowball!!!!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Darla:

I was so wishing for a nice, deep bathtub to soak my chilled bones in, but the heater in the room makes a big difference. What can you do to warm up? Hot tub at work???

Since I drink soda instead of coffee, I make the problem worse rather than helping!

Blessings on your day!

Kim