My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, December 24, 2012

The “unopened gifts” Part II

The other day I wrote about the ‘unopened gifts’ which were being discussed on the radio program Justin and I subscribe to. The guest host, Joe Paggs, was talking about the sorrow of those parents in CT who would have to deal with the unopened gifts purchased for the children who would never again gather around the Christmas tree. Justin cautioned me not to listen to the first hour of the show (downloaded podcast) because of this discussion, knowing it would cause me upset. I also had to deal with unopened presents when Timmy died, his funeral being on his 5th birthday.

Well, our family gathered tonight to open our Christmas presents in Mom’s community room. We were laughing and having a great time watching the kids unwrap their presents and so on. Then, after the two older boys were done and off playing with new gifts, Lisa helped Angelo open his. He is quite expressive and would oooh and ahhh over his cars and trucks. At one point, Lisa pulled an orange ‘Wiggle’ out of a gift bag and then a stuffed animal in a cardboard wrapper. Angelo grabbed the orange carrot-looking thing right away.

Lynn leaned over to Lisa and said, “That lion was Timmy’s…” She was presenting Angelo (Lisa) with ‘an unopened present’ which she had purchased to give to Timmy for his 5th birthday. Lynn had had it on her shelf for these nearly 12 years and decided it was time to move it on to Angelo (Lisa) after reading my blog. Needless to say, many of us were in tears just like that (snap of the fingers). I am still so moved I can barely see the keys. Thanks, Lynn, for that wonderful gift, now opened and soon to be placed on Angelo’s shelf!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angelo sleeps with Ditty every night. When I go in in the morning he's holding him in his arms. He even has a special corner he keeps in until night time again!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Thanks for letting me know this, Lisa. It means so very much!