My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, March 15, 2013

From one meal to the next

This morning I enjoyed breakfast at The Club, joined by my friend, Pat. When I first walked in, a lady sitting at the large table called to me, and ran up to hug me. She looked so familiar but I couldn't place her, especially because she was sporting a pair of large sunglasses. She told me her name, Susan, and then I recognized her as being the former site agent for my company. Susan had come on board after I was thrown overboard, as it were, so never worked side by side with her. 

She was so excited to see me again, and it was nice to see her, too. Susan was additionally excited because today was her daughter's wedding. Many of her family members were staying at The Club, and were expected for breakfast. The reason she was wearing the sunglasses indoors was because she had no make-up on, as a professional was coming to make the ladies up later on. 

Susan introduced me to a number of her family members and then told her spouse how I live at The Palace. They are just in love with the place and its views. She told me that there had been some cancellations for the wedding reception and urged me to come join them for the party tonight. I thanked her for the invitation but declined crashing the party. Love to see The Club and the hotel bustling like this.

Pat came in sporting a big black boot on her left foot. It seems they thought at first she had a broken foot but upon further examination found a ganglion cyst. After Easter she will have surgery on her foot and hopes the healing will be complete come pool season. For now she has to wear 'das boot' and shower with a goofy cover on her bandaged foot. She said she has learned to take really fast showers to get it over with. Poor thing!

While we were eating our breakfast, I got a call from my friend, Judy, asking me to lunch. Pat had to laugh as I set up my lunch date at the breakfast table. Such is Friday for me! We agreed to meet at Pengrees, not far from home for me. The staff began to vacuum the dining room as we ladies sat and talked. We can take a hint! I had another hour and a half before getting to my lunch appointment!

As Pat and I walked out, we met our other friend, Owene, who was on her way in. Her son is getting married in a couple weeks and using the Winterborne for his rehearsal dinner. Owene had to finish up some of the arrangements for this event. She is also part of our water exercise class, new this past season, so looks forward to getting back in the water. She is a lap swimmer besides so really appreciates the pool. I know her as a former teacher at St. Johns and it was great to connect and reconnect this past summer under other circumstances.
The prep work is done for the removal of the 2nd floor sundeck. It wasn't nosy enough around The Palace.....

Just before noon I headed to Pengree's to meet Judy C. We both ordered the country fried steak which is absolutely delicious. We sat there and talked until they turned the OPEN sign around and the staff was sitting down to eat! Twice in one day, I close the place!

No comments: