My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Friday, June 7, 2013

Bits 'n pieces

The other day on Facebook, a "friend" from my home town posted how her husband and she had gone to dinner with two other couples. As they enjoyed their meals and the evening, a man came over and told them their bill was taken care of. They were stunned and he said, "I like to do that when I see folks pray before their meals..." What a powerful statement was made first by them, and then by him. Gives you an idea, does it not?

It's one of those 'pay it forward' opportunities. One time Jen and I were eating at Cracker Barrel. When it was time for us to go, the waitress came to tell us that a man had already covered our bill, and he extended God's blessings on us. Nice! We were blown away. I have heard about folks who pay for the order of the car behind them in line at a drive-through, just to be nice. Or pre-paying someones toll on the freeway...anonymously.

A few years ago I had something like this happen for me. At the gas pump, I realized I had not pulled far enough ahead to allow for the car behind me (sort of a corner gas station, smallish area) so I got back in the car and pulled it ahead to make room for the one behind to pull in. As I got busy pumping my gas, a lady came up to me and gave me a gift card to Bojangle's Chicken, as a thank you for being so kind to her. 

She told me she'd been on the road much of the day, dealing with rude drivers, etc. and was blessed to have me be kind to her by pulling ahead like I did. Wow! For so long, I would not use the card because it meant much to me, but Justin told me I get to keep it after it's used up. So, recently I enjoyed a wonderful steak biscuit as my reward for moving my car ahead, such a simple thing....
***
Tuesday I had the privilege of meeting my friend, Jacquie, for lunch on the Island. She had a nail appointment and we met afterward at La Napolera. They were out of strawberry margaritas---how can this be? It was an okay thing, though, since I had to be at the top of my game for the preschool graduation reception that night. As we stood near the parking lot before leaving for home, a car came through the lot and hit a pothole full of water. Yup, we each got splashed but neither of us moved. We simply simultaneously looked down at our pants, then at each other, and laughed. Just a little water with dirt mixed into it---no big deal. Talk about funny!
                               
My friend, Lee, is leaving for Chicago today for the college graduation of her son. I suggested she take clothes for several temperatures, though she is less chilly-boned than am I. She likes the cooler air temps and water temps. Our paths will not cross for a while now since she will be with family in IN when I am leaving for WI. It won't happen again until I get back in July. Oh man! 
***
We had a Board of Directors meeting Wednesday night in the lower level garage. The chairs and tables from the sundeck are stored there so it was easy to set up for a meeting, though it did get dark. Sometimes the discussions are far too heated for my tastes, unnecessarily so, and it bothers me. Others seem to flourish in it. Hmmm....

Anyway, the conversation was yet again about the importance of having licensed and insured plumbers only doing work in our units. This is a hard-learned lesson, as you know. We cannot just assume someone has a license and is insured! He might know what he is doing but if something goes badly---that knowledge won't cover the damages. Two incidents of pipes breaking has happened in the past week which made this ugly topic rear its head. There is not a sure way to enforce this other than the honor system by the Owners which did not bode well with some. No other solution is available so the arguing was of no use. 

I hope and pray the water problems from plumbing are behind us all. And am thankful no water problems from outside affected my inside with this tropical storm moving through!
***
On a brighter note, this week I got a lovely card from my friend, Gretchen. On the front it says: "Laughter is like a bowl of ice cream with two spoons". On the inside is printed: "so glad for all we share!". Besides that she wrote a note, as is her custom, thanking me for something and wishing me warm water in the pool. Besides the card, she included a business card-sized piece of paper with passages about singing, from the Psalms. Such a dear!
***
I also have received invitations to the graduation services for the first two girls from Rocky Mnt. Lutheran High who stayed with me. I am so touched by their thoughtfulness and their continued practice of calling me 'Auntie Kim'. 
***
My extended family has experienced a loss. My niece lost her grandpa on Monday to a brain aneurysm, suffered the same day his wife had a stroke. His was worse than his wife's situation and had to go to another city for treatment. Sadly, the damage was more serious. His wife was able to go and see him before he slept away. Our family grieves for this loss, as Ray was a wonderful man, a perfect grandpa for my niece, and a best friend to his son. He was a God-fearing man and I am sure heaven is having a good time listening to Ray's stories. I can hear the laughing through my tears...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim:

I loved reading your blog !!! It was like sitting down with you telling me stories of kindness and friendship :)

Thank you for sharing!

Kathy

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Kathy H.!

I am so glad you enjoyed the blog, and do hope you come back again soon. I mentioned you in my posting today (Monday, June 10th) so watch for it!

Hugs,

Kim