My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Oh, there's no living with me now!

For months, even years, my son has been after me to join the dark side with him and become an iPhone user. This, despite my protests and insistence that my working Android 'Smart phone' was serving me just fine. Perhaps if something were to happen to my existing phone would I consider switching to another brand or (gasp!) leave Sprint. I have been with Sprint both as a customer (since the divestiture in the 80's) and as an employee for 5 years. It turns out a person can get the newest and best while keeping their phone number and staying with their original carrier while using an iPhone. I know this because I now have one!
                         
For months Justin has been researching and experimenting with the carriers to find the least expensive plan for a couple of reasons, not the least being he is now responsible for his own cell phone plan. And, always looking out for his mother, he wanted to find the best deal for me. In order for him to get the plan he uses, Justin switched his service to T-Mobile which has limited reception 'down here at the bottom of the hill', as he describes it. At the gates he has perfect reception, but as he progresses down toward the condo, the signal diminishes. Not a good thing for him, and certainly no deal for his mama who does much of her talking from home.

His age group talks less (uses less talk time on the phone) than any other features of the communication devices such as text messaging, iMessage, streaming, and web-browsing. On the other hand, I still talk to folks on the phone in addition to text messaging and the only occasional Googling to look up something. When I am at home, I have my laptops to do that, so I needed less gigabyte service in my plan. 

Last night Justin proposed he would take me to breakfast at Panera Bread and then we could go to the Sprint Store to check out the 5C phone, "which comes in colors!" He thought he could wave pretty things in my face and I would be a knock over. While he knows I am not prone to the attraction of the 'newest and best', he can sure sell! And he can buy---he treated me to the new phone while at the same time I got a cheaper plan which allowed me to keep my phone number and save money each month. Win-Win!
                                              
He created a monster by showing me the features of the better camera on this phone and posed for this "Seinfeld"-esque picture for me! "Was it a pick or a scratch?"

I told the lady taking care of us that Justin should work there because he certainly knows his stuff, knows all the features of every device, and can sell like nuts. Or to nuts! Smile for the camera, everybody!

No comments: